Common "myth", that people apparently haven't let go of.

I have heard that the ducklings will over eat the medication since they eat more, and that is what will hurt them, not the medication. Plus, most chick feeds don't have enough niacin for the ducklings, and they could get niacin deficiencies. I could be wrong, @Miss Lydia @Isaac 0, what do you think?
EDIT: I guess it would depend on what medicated feed you were talking about. Different feeds all use different medications, not all feeds use medications that are safe for ducklings.
You got me wondering, so I made doubly sure everything was good to go.. My feed is amprolium, which can be a hazard if overly consumed (generally by water dosing), however according to the ratio on the bag, it won't exceed the danger level, even if my duck stuffs her little self.. lol.. I do have to make sure she's getting plenty of B1 and B3 (thiamin and niacin).. which I have covered in spades. All should be well. :)

We have many on line people who want to sex your chick in some cases with out your asking and you end up feeling just as violated...plus they want to give you the sorry you chick is a rooster, Debby-Downer news. (I always tell them thanks I was hoping for a rooster. For me that is not a lie, I love'm and like roosters in a brand new breed.)

Most people on here are great though, I guess they mean no harm, they are just blunt about it.
I don't comment on "is it a roo/pullet" anymore and I try not to ask about my own! I do like to look though....I saw one the other day, I looked hard...it's been almost a decade since I had chicks, so I'm "practicing" while I wait for my order (is it May yet?)! I swear the chick looks like a pullet to me, actually it looks exactly like my PBR did when she was little, I'm pretty confident in saying "I think it's a pullet", but every single person commenting on it says "oh, that's definitely a roo". 🤷‍♀️ I could be right, I could be wrong....all I know was that I was convinced my little Barred Rock was a roo (she crowed, she was bossy, the works...), but she was my best egg layer for all the years they layed eggs! She also was the first to start laying.

So, I look at all the pretty pictures and make my own guesses, but no one ever updates and says "yep, this one laid" or "that one was definitely a roo, look at him now"!

Back
Top Bottom