Common question about when to put chickens outdoors

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by John01, Apr 15, 2008.

1. John01

John01 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2008
    My chicks are 7 weeks old today.

I'm in MA and its 50 to 60 deg. lately during the days and 30's at night. Can they be put outdoors yet into their home shown below?

Also I plan to keep the feed & water in the caged in area, is it ok to shut them in at night away from the feed and water?

[​IMG]

2. hensdeliverthegoods

hensdeliverthegoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Catawba County, NC
    I'd wait a few more weeks, since the pen is open to the elements like that. IMO, I don't think keeping them away from food - and especially water - at night is a good idea. They're wee things yet and need free access to their nutrition.

That's a lovely set-up you have there - did you build it yourself? And what kind of chicks do you have? [​IMG]

3. Iluvmychickens

Iluvmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Jacksonville, Florida
    No matter where your chicks are they ALWAYS need to have access to food and clean water. The only time you would withhold food was if you were going to worm them. You have a beautiful set up for them.

I live in Florida so I let my chicks out at a week old but only for 1/2 hour at a time and if it is 70 degrees or higher and sunny.

DeeDee [​IMG]

4. John01

John01 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2008
    Thank you, I did build it myself from a set of plans I bought. I have 2 RIR, 2 Plym Rocks, 1 Buff Orph., and 1 Gold Lace Wyandotte

So how about if I put a 75 watt bulb in the sleeping quarters. They're just getting too big, smelly, and noisy for my basement...

5. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

With heat, no problem! Get 'em out there tomorrow! [​IMG]

That looks like a pretty secure setup. You can probably keep their door open all the time.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by