Communal nest box.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kano, Jun 27, 2010.

1. kano

kano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Santiago de Chile
    What do you think of "communal nest".?? I mean that long box without divisions.

2. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    They work great. Just if you have broodies I'd add a temporary divider

3. journey11

journey11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    WV
    I've seen it done and the chickens don't seem to mind. You'd still want it quiet, dark, out of the way. I have divided nest boxes and I've seen my girls on several occasions squeeze 2 into the same nest, because they have a "favorite" spot and both want it at the same time! [​IMG]

4. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    I have a communal box that fits 3 birds (4 if they squeeze in, and sometimes they do). It works great.

5. kano

kano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Santiago de Chile
    Thanks a lot. I have to rebuilt the nest boxes and the idea was rounding me. How long should it be for 12 to 14 hens?

6. babyblue

babyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    the head hen will picke her fav nest box and then every single girl will fight over that exact spot. so for me I just laughed when dh build three box's...because I knew only one would ever get used.

7. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Quote:I'd make a trough - like 5-6 ft. Mine is around 2 ft. and they cuddle in there together. But I only have 4...
    Make it big or else you might get broken eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by