Communal Nest Boxes

I had 8 nesting boxes, 4 on top and bottom, and I removed the divider of the bottom one that they all thought that they just had to use. It works out pretty good for us anyway. This way they all think that it is the box they want and can share the area.

according to J.H. Florea, the author of "ABC of Poultry Raising" a tunnel nest (24" wide x 16" high x 8' long)18" off the ground, no partitions, covered on top, open on both ends where the hens can go in and out works fine for up to 100 hens.

Very cool! That means I get to make a bigger coop and get hatching!!!
lol.png

Would something like this work? I knocked this together last night on Sketchup. Been a while since I had chickens though, the openings may be too small for larger standards, but that could easily be adjusted ---

nestbox3.jpg

It's sized to use standard lumber (1x4's, 1x3's) and 3/4" ply, although it may be a bit more efficient to use 1x12 shelving rather than bothering to cut ply (1x12 shelving is actually ¾"x11½".) The inside would be totally open, but I can see using using another 1x12 to enclose the boxes before adding the "roosting discourager" and then putting hinges on that to come up with a bit of extra storage space.

I have a hen which insists on getting into a 12" box with another hen who growls and complains. This hen worms her way under the complaining hen. I watched them jockey around & push each other out of the box for at least an hour today. The boxes have dividers between each nest, so I think I'll remove one divider and see if it at least they have more room to move around each other. I really think this one hen has to be in with another bird in her mind. What do you think? Anyone have a hen like this?

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif
Mine are like that too
gig.gif

i thought my girls were weird... i have two nest boxes for my 6 girls, and all of them only use one... LOL... i never find eggs in the other box... i think i should just take it out the second box so they can have more room to stretch...

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif
Mine are like that too
gig.gif

i thought my girls were weird... i have two nest boxes for my 6 girls, and all of them only use one... LOL... i never find eggs in the other box... i think i should just take it out the second box so they can have more room to stretch...

no, no. don't remove the second box, they will start laying on the floor...betcha.

I have three wooden apple boxes on the floor for 12 chickens. They mostly like one particular box, but use any. Infact I have to look under the broody hen daily as she is in the favourite box and can accumulate 4 or so extra eggs under her daily.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom