Community vs. individual nests

Lil chick chick

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 2, 2009
Nampa, Idaho
I was wondering...most pics I've seen here show people using individual nest boxes. However, most people also say their ladies usually all have a preference for one over the rest.

Why not more community nests? Is there a reason most people go with individual? I am soon to be starting my first coop and am thinking about building a community tunnel nest, like 6ft long with an opening at each end, maybe one opening in the middle also. That way it stays nice and dark, yet the ladies can hang out together which seems to be what they are trying to do in the individuals.

Please share your thoughts or experiences on why one has worked better for you than the other, if you've tried both. Or, just share your knowledge in this area, as I don't have any, yet.
roll.png
Thanks everyone.

Funny you should bring this up, I just took out all the individual milk crates in the playhouse coop because everyone lays in one nest anyway. I left one in there upside down because it's their step-stool to hop up on the roost. After I took them out all the ladies were in there rolling and playing in the straw and dirt. Then I realized I took the one Nugget stands on my the window so I put it back. They have a lot more room now and since I couldn't force them to use separate nests this will work better for them.

Last edited:
7782_img_0350.jpg

7782_img_0421.jpg

The roosters can get in there to show the juvies what its all about! I notice I don't hear all that complaining waiting for the favorite spot anymore either.

7782_img_0419.jpg

7782_img_0344.jpg

Orchidchick

Quote:
Thanks for the great photos. (LOVE PHOTOS)
So you have found the ladies seem to prefer having one large together nest? No more argueing?

I have a community nest similar to orchidchicks--mine is not even fastened to the coop--it is "stand alone" fastened to the outside of the run (like a small coop on legs).
My 7 girls share it w/no problem. They made 2 nests in it, one on each side, & use both, altho most of them prefer one particular side.
Can't get pics right now, sorry, it's pouring rain here today.

Quote:
Thanks DarkWolf. Just read the whole thread. Exactly what I'm inquiring about.

I would love to hear from people who have used both, so they can explain why one was better than the other.

I am thinking about doing one just like OrpingtonManor has. That seems to be exactly what a hen or hens would like. So why is that the only one of its kind I've seen? Are there obvious drawbacks to it that I am unaware of? I've never owned chickens, so I don't know.

Perhaps I'll PM her.

Quote:
Seems like it's 6 of one, half dozen of the other. Doesn't make much difference. The only time logically that I can see individual test boxes being useful as apposed to a long box would be when a hen goes mad hen broody.

So far I've heard no drawbacks, per say, but what I have heard has been slim.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom