Companion Chickens...who would be good roommates?

CDeMare71

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2020
Hello!
We have our 10 girls (Silver Laced Wyandottes) now out in their coop/run. We live in South Carolina and are concerned with the heat for them. We have measures in place i.e. mister, fan, shade, and will manage them the best we can. Planning for the future, we'd like to add some other layers to our flock after these get established. So, I'm turning to this community for the insight needed in selecting another breed they can get along, one that is more heat tolerant, and to learn at what age should we introduce them as roommates?

What breeds are:
  • Better with the heat
  • Good companions for our current flock
  • Dependable layers
What is the best age to:
  • Introduce new 6 week old hens to our current flock
Is there an age when hens will NOT accept juvenile birds?

What are the best flock combining practices to help reduce stress for both flocks and assist with peaceful cohabitation?

I know! That is a lot of questions but hey, I have a lot to learn :)

Thanks in advance.

Hi! I love your question, because I have a great answer! First of all, no matter what anyone tells you do NOT get Barred Rocks! When put together in groups over two they can gang up on their flock members. I personally LOVE The Speckled Sussex. Not only is it a beautiful bird, but they are good layers and very friendly birds if you handle them right from the start. My Sussex baby is 3 years old and she will come up on the porch and look in through the glass at us! She doesn’t care if you touch her or pick her up and never runs away. She’s a great layer and gets along great with the two barred rocks I still have left. I have a Wyandotte but she isn’t yet full size So I don’t know how they interact. To suggest another breed, I find the EE very pretty and friendly. They are colored egg layers and get along well. Mine aren’t full grown again but from what I am concerned that’s the case. i Don’t suggest a bird like a Silkie for the heat. Something with a large comb and wattle and less plumage. I do however have advice on how to add birds to you flock. Because the first time i added to my flock the ones I added outnumbered the big ones I, sure it was intimidatin. Maybe if your adding large numbers do a few birds at a time, and if it’s a few birds to a large flock put them all in at the same time. Make sure to add them when they are full size and you can tell a difference in age by looking at them. Chickens can’t tell age but the can tell size and will peck and sometimes kill smaller members of the flock. Before you introduce the, all at one, let them meet between a fence or something so they can see eachother but not peck. You cannot add 6 week olds to a flock but you can make a smaller pen inside of the big pen and place it in there so that they can live with the flock but not get harassed or pecked.

Great insight! This is exactly what I was hoping for...seasoned "chickeniers" sharing successes and failures. That is how we all learn. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom