Companion for Pekin drake

Going Quackers

Crowing
12 Years
May 24, 2011
On, Canada
I have an older Pekin drake he is almost 8, anyways... his remaining mate(pekin female) is doing very poorly... (long story) i am concerned about him ending up alone he is penned off from what remains of my flock since he is a pain the neck with the remaining birds here... he is just extremely territorial even compared to my Muscovy drakes(shocking that)

I will try for a younger ish Pekin but obviously not super young no ducklings... but what else would go well with a mature Pekin male? Thank you!

another drake around his size would be best
hmm thank you i am quite hesitant on a drake.. he is not the sort to like other male companionship ... at one times year ago, he was the head of the Pekin flock of 5 females he being the 6th and free ranged with my Muscovy flock... the ladies kept him busy enough but he still got into it often with the scovies...

I tend to lean on some females but unsure if i can find Pekin females..

Thought i'd update ...

Was given a so called mixed breed duck for him. It went awesome, he was beyond sweet with her and they get along very, very well...

She however is #1 no mix. #2 is a muscovy despite this they seem fine my drake is very accustomed to Muscovy as they were my first birds, most start with chickens i started with ducks(ie;scovies) so he seems to of accepted this offer...

Of coarse now i have to contend with the typical talents? of a scovie female my pen is open i mean chubby pekin are not climbing a fence anytime soon.. (and yes clipped her wings after i saw she was NO mix) but these are just small things i know scovies super well anyways..

So all ended well, Sadly my Pekin female did pass away, quite sad but she lived a full life and passed away in the home they shared so i take comfort in that.

my sincere condolences on your loss and I echo KelseyBoxer's words, it was very nice of you to ease his mourning by giving him a friend ahead of time. He didn't wake up alone on that sad day and he didn't go to sleep without a friend nearby.

Back
Top Bottom