Companion species for crossbeak chicken?

MetroMutt

Songster
Mar 9, 2021
NJ
Ok so I have a sweet crossbeak olive egger named Criss, I was going to introduce her with the rest of my flock but shes so docile and with the crossbeak cant defend herself; I was wondering if I could group her with another bird species so shes more evenly matched? Like for example some female call ducks or quail yknow? What would be good species/numbers I could do for her?

I wanna give her the best life possible, I also cant risk rooster chickens in my town so raising babies with her is out of the question.

Any ideas?

(If I cant find anything I will likely keep her as a house chicken with daily grass time and spend most of my day with her, my dad really wants her outside though asap. Currently she is pretty pampered including 24/7 crumbles, daily smoothies, whenever im not with her she has the tv on, I offer her dust baths often, and I take her outside for fresh air and grass whenever the temperature is nice enough)

Ty!

How old is your bird? I had a cross beak, not a real bad cross beak, but still a malfunctioning beak. When she was little, she was with the others and seemed to do fine. But eventually, she could not eat enough to keep up with her growing body.

So weigh you bird fairly often and make sure the bird is gaining, unless the bird is an adult. I would not expect it to bond with a bird of another species. Most animals ignore other species, unless in a very tight confinement.

Personally, I agree with your father. I think chickens are much healthier when the outside is available to them 24/7. Not just once in a while.

Mrs K

How old is your bird? I had a cross beak, not a real bad cross beak, but still a malfunctioning beak. When she was little, she was with the others and seemed to do fine. But eventually, she could not eat enough to keep up with her growing body.

So weigh you bird fairly often and make sure the bird is gaining, unless the bird is an adult. I would not expect it to bond with a bird of another species. Most animals ignore other species, unless in a very tight confinement.

Personally, I agree with your father. I think chickens are much healthier when the outside is available to them 24/7. Not just once in a while.

Mrs K
Shes about 7 months but the vet said she was fairly small and skinny, her beak is not great so she has to be on a special diet. I know shes gaining weight how we are doing things currently though.

Where she was before she lived in basically the area of two shoe boxes total and had never seen grass. Her cage was never cleaned and she was living in both her own feces but the feces of the 4 birds that were in the cage before her; including sick birds. Often people would forget her water and give her nothing but scratch which she was unable to eat. I was able to visit only twice a week before we brought her home but now that we have her home and treated her for her coccidiosis she is doing much better.

I plan to bring her outside as much as a possibly can, pretty much every day except when the heat really spikes as thats what caused her brothers death.

Back
Top Bottom