Compare Nutrena vs. Purina

What do you mean, "makes them smell bad..." Like, the birds themselves or makes their poop smell more? My girls are currently on Purina chick starter but are just about ready to move over to Layer feed and I'm looking at my options.

Hi,
I am in the USA. I had UK strains of Light Sussex. I liked the Agway Meatbird and the Nutrena Meatbird. Both by Cargill. Everyone in my Sussex flock of all ages ate it and did real well.
Best,
Karen

I don't buy Nutrena because it's owned by Cargill, a supporter of NAIS. I don't recall if it has animal protein in it, which, in my way of thinking, would be good. Also, I used to live down the road from one of the Cargill plants. Yuck, sometimes the air in the n'hood smelled like I was suffocating in a bag of dogfood.
What is the NAIS and what’s the deal with it?

What is the NAIS and what’s the deal with it?
National Animal Identification System.

Some years ago, it was an idea of the United States Government for identifying and keeping track of all livestock-type animals. They hoped to be able to track animal diseases, by tracking which animals were where and had been in contact with which other animals.

The plan was to make it mandatory for the entire country. That would have meant every chicken and every other livestock animal getting an id chip, every owner registering their property information with the government, and every owner filling out forms every time an animal was bought, sold, butchered, or taken off the property for any reason.

There were some exceptions to make it easier for large groups, such as filling out a single form when transporting or butchering an entire herd of cattle or flock of chickens, instead of a separate form for each individual animal in that herd or flock.

Many chicken keepers opposed it, and so did many other people who had just a few animals. I don't know what the big commercial farmers thought about it.

I haven't heard much about it in quite a few years. I know it did not become mandatory. I'm not sure whether it still exists as a voluntary program, or whether it was abandoned entirely.

If you want more information, this wikipedia article looks fairly good at present:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Animal_Identification_System

National Animal Identification System.

Some years ago, it was an idea of the United States Government for identifying and keeping track of all livestock-type animals. They hoped to be able to track animal diseases, by tracking which animals were where and had been in contact with which other animals.

The plan was to make it mandatory for the entire country. That would have meant every chicken and every other livestock animal getting an id chip, every owner registering their property information with the government, and every owner filling out forms every time an animal was bought, sold, butchered, or taken off the property for any reason.

There were some exceptions to make it easier for large groups, such as filling out a single form when transporting or butchering an entire herd of cattle or flock of chickens, instead of a separate form for each individual animal in that herd or flock.

Many chicken keepers opposed it, and so did many other people who had just a few animals. I don't know what the big commercial farmers thought about it.

I haven't heard much about it in quite a few years. I know it did not become mandatory. I'm not sure whether it still exists as a voluntary program, or whether it was abandoned entirely.

If you want more information, this wikipedia article looks fairly good at present:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Animal_Identification_System
Thank you. Yeah I’d be against having to do that as well.

Well both are made by Cargill. I would suspect that they come off of the same line. The Nutrena brand used to be a European brand and was bought by Cargill. Purina the most recognized brand in agriculture was also bought by Cargill. They charge a bit more for Purina where I live so maybe the ingredients are a bit more expensive. I keep detailed records and if you are free feeding chickens tend to eat just a bit more Nutrena and lay the same number of eggs with both. That also makes me think there are a bit more fillers in Nutrena and the chickens compensate by eating a bit more. Or maybe it was just the weather.
I thought it was Land O Lakes that owns Purina

Back
Top Bottom