COMPATIBILITY

mpoland33

Songster
Mar 16, 2016
FREDERICK COUNTY MARYLAND
Sorry if this is a repeat topic for anyone but I haven't found it yet in my searching.

I'm new and probably won't get my coop until late this year or early next year- we're moving and I can't have chickens where I am now.

Basically, I want to start out with 6 hens (started- I'll tackle chicks once my kids get a little older and can enjoy it with me). I know someone who breeds buff orpingtons and I'm interested but I also want to try a variety. I was thinknig of getting 2 of 3 different breeds.

So if I got (2) buffs what else would you put in that is going to, (a) get along and (b) produce a good amount of eggs.

Or if you'd have a different strategy let me know. I'm open to everything!

You can get pretty much anything. Easter Eggers, Rhode Island Red, Barred Rock, Leghorns. Many people even keep bantams with their large birds. I personally have 3 Silkies running with my flock of 30 + large birds and there is not issue so far.

Thanks. I've been looking for a little variety...in color of chickens and eggs maybe...if possible anyway.

I'm in PA now but moving back down to Maryland. I can't seem to find anywhere that is selling started pullets for under 30.00 and even at that, they all seem to be RIR's it seems

Back
Top Bottom