complaining neighbor

Quote:
Good thing to look into - many municipalities in Vermont have enacted this. Too many folks move here from the city and buy a lovely plot of land with beautiful views of cows, corn, and hay fields. However, they forget that cows produce manure in vast quantities, and that those piles of manure are going to be spread in copious amounts all over those fields at various intervals throughout the summer.

chickennovice hasnt responded since page 1.
big_smile.png

chickennovice if your still there, the noise ordinace that you mentioned "barking dogs" that one will get crowing roos, promise you. The barking dogs is an example, it is meant to apply to all animals.

Good luck.

In my township you cant have roosters which stinks because I LOVE the sound of them in the morning, but we are in the suburbs. You are allowed 6 chickens if you have an acre or less. You are not allowed pigs or any type of farm animals. People have pot bellied pigs, but legally they are not allowable. When my family got our chickens, our one neighbor asked if they were roosters and we said no.

If you have a dog that barks for more than 15 min, you can be fined, but you can have screaming kids..lol.

While I love living here, I wish they had less restrictions on animals..
sad.png

OK I have roosters in the city and this is how I get away with it. Once night falls I go to the coop and get my boys. I take them to my garage and put them in dog travel kennels with bedding and water. Close the door and presto no more early morning crowing! I let them out around 9:30 when most people are up and gone to work so the crowing is really no more than the random dog bark during the day. Sat and Sundays they stay in until 10:30 or 11:00 for those who sleep in. It has worked perfectly and most importantly afforded me the opportunity to keep roosters in my area. I think the reason I have had such luck is because I am understanding of the neighbors feelings but at the same time I have a right to keep the roosters so it has worked out nicely. I have no city regulations on noise or chickens in the city except that they cannot roam at large. I hope that this helps all of you in your neighbor issues.

Good Luck, Adam

Here is one of my boys
sumatra04.jpg

Quote:
Gah.

*shakes head* I don't have much of a response, other than to shake my head. I'll keep my fingers crossed for central NY... Thankfully the nearest major city is still an hour away and isn't all that major... And the local towns though growing are not growing *quite* like that.. It's a weird situation up here. But it's disgusting that people can come into an area like that and drive out someone who has been there for a generation. *sigh*

(And yeah, I'm stupidly optimistic and resignedly naive, it's a choice).

But it's disgusting that people can come into an area like that and drive out someone who has been there for a generation.

Hey, you just described the south and how disgusting it is that people are moving here and running us out of our country way of life and pouring over our land with concrete, subdivisions and strip malls. Very sad!!!​

We used to have a pig farm about a mile away from us...now it's got 7 McMansions on it...
The yuppies move away to the country and then want to Yuppify it...
It makes me sad.
I have an 1/8th of an acre and I have one of the bigger yards. This neigbhourhood was built in the 40's for the naval air station families and it's rather cramped, but still a nice place. The new train is only a 1/2 mile away and there's a park and Route 3 is a mile away. It would take you half an hour or so to get to Boston...On of the people behind me actually had banties some years ago, until the hawks got them.
hit.gif
So even 30 years ago we were still a rural-ish community.

Herechickchick,
It's interesting to hear how you're keeping chickens in the city! I've been doing the same thing with cat carriers in the garage, but have to leave for work at 7 a.m. or 8 a.m., so can't put them out as late as you do. I think I'll try keeping them in later on weekends though, maybe 9 or 9:30. It's a bit of a hassle though, don't you think?
It seems like my town regs are pretty lax; someone called the police to inquire about roosters and they said there's nothing they could do about it; "roosters crow"! But the neighbor keeps calling anyway; last night at 6:15: "those things keep going off and disturbing our enjoyment of the solitude of the neighborhood".
I'm enjoying all of your comments. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom