Complete hatching noob with broody hen. Got a few questions.

I did stuff 4 duck eggs under mamma this morning. She fluffed herself up to double her normal size and pecked at me a bit but seemed to settle back down to her work after I left the coop.

Looks like chickens are 21 days and duck eggs 28 though. Not sure what my game plan is if she gets a few chicks then gives up on the rest of the clutch.

Update. Looks like she has half a dozen chicks under her. I've just moved the "nest" down to ground level. I hope I can get her to stick with the nest for another week to see if any ducklings will hatch.
DSC02261.JPG

DSC02262.JPG

It's a bit cool today so they seem dug in pretty deep, I'll try to update with more/better pictures when and if they venture out any.

Update. Looks like she has half a dozen chicks under her. I've just moved the "nest" down to ground level. I hope I can get her to stick with the nest for another week to see if any ducklings will hatch.
View attachment 2692309

View attachment 2692313

It's a bit cool today so they seem dug in pretty deep, I'll try to update with more/better pictures when and if they venture out any.

Chicks can only survive without food for about three days. Broody hens typically set on their nest for another three days following the hatching of the first chick. I would say she is unlikely to remain on the nest for another week. Do you have a plan B?

Do you have a plan B?
Neighbor has a cheap incubator which will probably do the job of finishing off the last few days the duck eggs will need. I did put food and water right next to the "nest" so perhaps her and the chicks will continue to post up there for a little while longer.

Looks like she has a half a dozen fluffballs under there already so even if nothing else comes of this I'm still way ahead of the game and proud for new-mom.

New count. Total of 11. That's 100%, pretty good for a first time mom. All are learning to pick and scratch and have found the food and water. Every single one of them has feathered shanks like dad, three of my hens are crested breeds but that trait may be recessive because none of these chicks show signs of that.
Hopefully the duck eggs pop and I can stuff whoever comes out of them under mamma.
DSC02280.JPG

Back
Top Bottom