Questions before incubating my first eggs!

CrazyForMyPeeps802

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Feb 24, 2024
Vermont
Hello everyone!
This will be my first time incubating eggs. I've done a lot of research and I'm excited but also a bit nervous. If anyone has any advice it's greatly appreciated😊!

Incubator is a Farm Innovators pro series model 4250 with automatic egg turner. I've read mixed reviews on this incubator. I'm hoping I'll have good luck with it🤞🏻. It was a gift from a loving family member who knew I was wanting to hatch my own eggs. Does anyone have experience with this incubator?

Thermometer/hygrometer is a Govee Bluetooth thermometer hygrometer model H5074. I've been using this thermometer in my house sense December and it's been awesome! I'm hoping it'll be just as awesome in the incubator.

Hatching Eggs
I'll be getting my first set of hatching eggs hopefully within the next two weeks. They will be 24 silkie eggs from a mixed pen of bearded silkies, non bearded silkies, showgirl silkies, and frizzled silkies! I'm a silkie lover and currently only have three adorable little roos! I'm so excited to be adding more to my flock. I've read that it's harder to hatch silkie eggs? I'm hoping that I'm not making a mistake by starting with them. I've also read they need a lower incubation temperature? And that they typically hatch sooner?
I was thinking about setting a few barnyard mix eggs from my own flock with them. Is it ok to hatch and brood bantams with standard size chicks? Or should I just stick with the silkies for this hatch?

I think that's all the questions I have for now. I'm sure I'll have a few more as it gets closer to setting these eggs!

Thanks in advance everyone😊

I hatch silkies and they are no harder than any other chicken. I can get nearly 100% hatch rate on my own eggs.

99.5F is the temperature for all chickens, silkies included.
21 days, is usual, but I lockdown an extra day because they have started hatching on Day 19 many times.

Their shells are like porcelain, so humidity during lockdown is important to be around 70%, which is the same for other chickens.

Yes, you can put other chicken eggs with them. They'll get along fine. It's when they are adults, silkies can get picked on by bigger chickens, so you need to have a few so they can stick together.

I hatch silkies and they are no harder than any other chicken. I can get nearly 100% hatch rate on my own eggs.

99.5F is the temperature for all chickens, silkies included.
21 days, is usual, but I lockdown an extra day because they have started hatching on Day 19 many times.

Their shells are like porcelain, so humidity during lockdown is important to be around 70%, which is the same for other chickens.

Yes, you can put other chicken eggs with them. They'll get along fine. It's when they are adults, silkies can get picked on by bigger chickens, so you need to have a few so they can stick together.

Thanks so much! You've put my mind at ease.

Nearly 100% hatch rate is incredible! I'll be happy with a 50-75% hatch rate. Fingers are crossed🤞🏻.

Ok 99.5f is what I'll set my incubator for! What humidity level do you try to achieve? 35-45% is what I've read is that correct?

Ok I'll go into lockdown a day early! And I'll make sure to increase the humidity to 70%!

Oh good! I'm planning on having a separate coop and run just for my bantams. I have a few hundred laying hens and a couple large roosters and I'm not willing to chance my silkies with them. I just wanted to make sure the larger chicks wouldn't beat up the silkies in the brooder.

Thanks again😊 I appreciate it!

Nearly 100% hatch rate is incredible! I'll be happy with a 50-75% hatch rate. Fingers are crossed🤞🏻.
I say nearly 100% or even have gotten 100% on my own eggs, but that's after the Day 7 candling where I pull the clears. So I don't count those in my end total as they weren't viable to begin with.

I say nearly 100% or even have gotten 100% on my own eggs, but that's after the Day 7 candling where I pull the clears. So I don't count those in my end total as they weren't viable to begin with.
That's still really incredible! I'm hoping I don't have many clears. I know my own eggs are fertilized. But I'm unsure what the fertility rate is on the eggs I'm purchasing. She has multiple roosters so I'm hoping they are all fertilized.

Back
Top Bottom