Completly lost 2

Hey quick off the topic question. How old do chicks have to be before they can leave the brooder and heat lamp? Mine are about 5 weeks and feathered out (except the heads)

Fully feathered and used to whatever temps they are being put into. If it's warm out and comparable to the temps they were at in the brooder, your good to go. If it's cold out and they've been at 70 degrees then no.

Our lows have been in the lower 60s. I haven't taken temps at all in the brooder. I figure if they are cold they can move closer to the light and vise versa

They are feathered out tho....well the 9 older ones are. Im thinking of moving them to the chick coop tomorrow and seeing what happens

I just dug my mom's LG9200 out of the woodshed where it's been for the past 20 years and I was wondering if anyone was still using one. I have zero idea what I'm doing, and this thing is missing half its parts. So it's nice to know that you had one not too long ago and it worked for you. I'm trying to keep my expectations low because this is my first go-round with this incubator and I had my eggs shipped.
I just hatched 41 out of 48 eggs last weekend in my LG9200 that is 20 years old . And it has eggs back in it now . I checked the 7 remaining eggs that did not hatch .Only one was hatchable But it pipped in wrong place . Lots of people dont like them But I have had great hatches with mine. Good Luck Hope you have many Great hatches

Last edited:
I just hatched 41 out of 48 eggs last weekend in my LG9200 that is 20 years old . And it has eggs back in it now . I checked the 7 remaining eggs that did not hatch .Only one was hatchable But it pipped in wrong place . Lots of people dont like them But I have had great hatches with mine. Good Luck Hope you have many Great hatches

The 9200s weren't bad. A little more work, monitoring/fidgeting, but they were decent little bators. It's the newer digital Little Giants that suck big time.

The 9200s weren't bad. A little more work, monitoring/fidgeting, but they were decent little bators. It's the newer digital Little Giants that suck big time.
And I almost got one of the newer ones .Till I read the reviews But then a lot of people don't like the old ones either .I may get one of the Hovator 1583 someday .I would love to have some duck eggs to try .When we were growing up usecto let hens hatch duck .But neverctried in a bator .Have done chicks .guineas and turkeys Wouldclove to do pea fowl and ducks

And I almost got one of the newer ones .Till I read the reviews But then a lot of people don't like the old ones either .I may get one of the Hovator 1583 someday .I would love to have some duck eggs to try .When we were growing up usecto let hens hatch duck .But neverctried in a bator .Have done chicks .guineas and turkeys Wouldclove to do pea fowl and ducks

I think people are put off the older ones because of convenience. There not set them and forget them incubators. They are touchier to get the temps just right, more prone to the fluctuations of environmental temps. People want digital with thermostat control, less to worry about. Many aren't able to be home more regularly to keep temps in check and humidity at there levels. I've been fortunate to where I am able to do these things and make the older model work well for me.

But I am loving the steadiness of the Hovabator, and that big picture window...lol

If i ever get caught up around the place im going to build a wooden incubator with 2 wafer stats and 450 watt heat strips. But for now the little lg is doing fine

I think people are put off the older ones because of convenience. There not set them and forget them incubators. They are touchier to get the temps just right, more prone to the fluctuations of environmental temps. People want digital with thermostat control, less to worry about. Many aren't able to be home more regularly to keep temps in check and humidity at there levels. I've been fortunate to where I am able to do these things and make the older model work well for me.

But I am loving the steadiness of the Hovabator, and that big picture window...lol
Did I see that you got your 1583 last month ? So have you had a hatch in it yet ?

Did I see that you got your 1583 last month ? So have you had a hatch in it yet ?

I did and I have. The bator is awesome. Rock steady temps, easy to pull out plastic water well thingy...lol and that picture window is just great. I did my first hatch from my own silkie eggs. Not my normal awesome rates, but not because of the bator. I am still having low fertility yet and I think the cold is still affecting the viability of the eggs. I have 9 in there a week and a half in, they are looking great so far, and I'm going to do a staggered hatch,
1f631.png
again and set more on Thursday that will be due right before Easter. I had 9 hatch the first hatch, had to cull one and the other 8 sold, so if I can just see fertility come up, stronger development, it'll be perfect. Hoping with warmer weather coming up, within the next month I'll see those excellent hatch rates again.

I think all I'm really missing is the thermometer/hygrometer and the vent plugs, both of which were easily replaced or rigged. I swear I remember using a turner but my mother assures me we turned our own eggs. So what I'm left with is a styrofoam box with a heating element and a wire grate, but that's all an incubator really is anyway, right?

The last time this thing was used was in 1998. My mom bought 25 Cuckoo Marans eggs from a guy in Maine, had them shipped to Tennessee, and every single one of those mf'ers hatched and lived. So I know it can be done and I'm pretty impressed with how well it's holding its temp.

Hi,
Does she still have the Marans? She didn't by chance get them from Hornpipe Marans did she?
Thanks,
Karen

Back
Top Bottom