Composite Decking bad for feet/legs?

JosieR

Songster
9 Years
Apr 24, 2010
Orange County, NY
I have the opportunity to get a dog kennel from one of those Amish Shed places. It has an insulated dog box with a glassboard lined interior (good for hosing out) and an attached run. I am planning on letting the ducks free range when they're older but would like to have an outdoor run area for them to eat and drink and hang out if we're away from home or at night.

The run area is fenced of course and it has a roof and composite deck flooring. I was initially VERY excited about that since it means I don't have to worry about any predators getting under the fence. But then remembered reading about leg issues due to certain flooring and I'm afraid the decking won't be good. I'd rather not cover it with anything unless it's freezing temps since that negates the ability to just hose it off.

Opinions on this type of flooring? Anyone have it? Anyone think it's a good or bad idea?

Thanks!
smile.png

(I wish I could send you all duck eggs for all the help you've given me and the girls!)

Josie

I think you are fine. It is slick surfaces like ceramic tiles or vinyl that are an issue. All the composite decking are emulating wood grain, which makes them non slipping. I think it is a wonderful idea to use it. Another great thing with this decking is that you don't need to leave expansion gaps for contraction etc. So their small feet/toes cannot get caught in between.
Katharina

Thank you! It looks like it's going to be a good idea. I just want to make sure that little insulated kennel doesn't get too hot. I would THINK it's fine, if it's OK for a dog but I wouldn't want my babies to overheat. I like the idea of the decking because I'm paranoid about predators, especially at night.

Thanks again
smile.png

Are there gaps between the boards? If there are, and they are large enough for a foot to get caught, that would be a concern. But aside from that, I think the flooring sounds fine.

Back
Top Bottom