Compost as Substrate in the run?

CaptainCupcake

Chirping
Apr 21, 2020
Northern California
So my 5 chickens have a run that is 7'x30' with a dirt floor. Over the last year or so, most of the dirt flew away leaving mainly rocks. I've been asking my uncle and brother for the last couple months to help me find more rock free dirt to put in their run. My uncle finally brought me some, but its compost. I figured its ok, so we put it in the run today, but after we were done my dad said to be careful, that the compost can get hot an spontaneously combust, so now I'm nervous, and cant find anything about using compost as a substrate for chickens.

Any advice? I can add a picture of the run in the morning. Also, I'm in Northern California, the weather here is in the 80's during the day, with no rain in sight.

Heat will not be an issue at all. Compost has to be 2-3 feet thick to even begin to heat up, and even then, that's before it is actually COMPOST. Compost itself does not heat up, it is biologically inert. The material(s) get while they are BECOMING compost, a.k.a. "composting". Hope that makes sense.

that does make sense, and makes me feel better thanks! 😊

it would be nice to see a pic of your run. I hope compost will attract bugs so that your chickens have a party.

It at least looks nice in their run haha
76C9228E-A8A1-4049-A5F9-5E3B4A350324.jpeg F7E511BC-04D3-475E-9F2D-002A6D930589.jpeg

It looks like plant yum to me! Keep adding to it, then take some next spring for your garden or for putting around plants/shrubs. It's black gold.

When my compost "heats up," it gets to about 135-145 degrees F. No where near combustion. It makes steam when I turn it, and warms up my feet. :)

Back
Top Bottom