Compost Bin Recommendations?

If you have limited space, just use the run as your compost bin. Dump everything in the run and let the chickens work it. You will need to sift the chunks out in the spring to get the fine finished compost. Gives the chickens some valuable entertainment in the middle of winter.
I have been taking the bedding from the coop and adding it to the run for 2 years and the pine shavings are not breaking down. I think because it’s not a big enough pile to heat up or not enough nitrogen. The chickens don’t spend a lot of time in the run except winter because I let them free in the yard. Did move the bedding and shoved up some of the bottom dirt and sifted it through hardware cloth. I got about a 5 gallon bucket to side dress the plants. I’m hoping that by having it in a 3’x3’x3’ pile I can get it to breakdown faster. I want to make a couple more beds using no dig method but I need alot of compost and mulch to put on the cardboard.

(didn't read all the replies, but just adding my 2c)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08346W5S6 - grabbed it 2-3 years ago I think. Very happy with it. I use it mostly for kitchen scraps, things I want to break down quickly and keep it close to my back door for convenience. I was shocked how hot it got while composting when I actually kept it damp and cared for it. As time went by, I just toss crap in it and ignore it, randomly emptying out its contents in to my larger ones 1-4x a year.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010V673AC - grabbed one of those at the same time, later added a second. I made them both their largest size. Very pleased with them. I'm too lazy to DIY something. I mostly grabbed two for the "turning" part, which I rarely do. Because again, lazy. When I do it though I pull one up, shovel its contents in to the other to flip everything upside down.

Piling up compost will make it break down faster than “slow composting” in the run, but it’s of course more work.

A hybrid model also works if you have the room…have a protected pile in the run, let it “cook” a bit, then let the flock tear it apart, then put it back into the protected pile to further break down…aerated, turned, and ready to continue to break down.

Back
Top Bottom