compost from chicken bedding

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by 5th lake chick, Nov 9, 2014.

1. 5th lake chick

5th lake chick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2012
    Northern Wisconsin
    Does any one know how long Hi Yield Garden dust takes to break down in compost or soil. I used the insecticide on my chicken bedding after I lost a rooster to mites. I composted the bedding not really thinking about the added dust, since it can be used in the garden but a having second thoughts now .

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    What are the chemical ingredients in that dust?

3. jaytoddmartin

jaytoddmartin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2014
    Depending on the amount, I would try to not use it in the garden or compost. If it's a huge amount, perhaps you can compost it and spread it around the base of oak trees or something ?

4. 5th lake chick

Jul 19, 2012
    Northern Wisconsin
    pyrethrimin- a synthetic insecticide

5. 5th lake chick

Jul 19, 2012
    Northern Wisconsin
    too late I already spread it out on my garden this Fall. It never crossed my mind till I was doing some reading on an old book "Silent Spring". It has been composting a good 6 months and will be a over a year old next Spring. That's why I was wondering how long it persists. I have always tried to stay pretty organic so am really kicking myself.

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Pyrethrin? Permethrin? Both are supposed to be pretty benign, but, of course with all insecticides, it depends on who you talk to. I don't think I'd have any problems putting it in my garden.

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Pyrethrins break down very quickly when exposed to light and oxygen. I think the garden will be fine by spring.

8. 5th lake chick

Jul 19, 2012
    Northern Wisconsin
    permethrin, the more I read I feel alittle better about using the compost.I'm sure some of the produce I buy have been exposed to a lot more. How do you control mites on you birds?

9. 5th lake chick

Jul 19, 2012
    Northern Wisconsin
    thanks I am feeling alittle better about it. I resisted even using it on my birds until I lost one. How do you control mites on your flock?

10. Guido

Guido Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2014
    Mold North Wales
    I just had a bad red mite problem.

It took weekly removal of all bedding and nesting materials, dismantle the coop and run as much as possible, disinfect and wash down all parts of coop and run (Smite was the solution i used) allow to dry, reassemble nests, add DE to all bedding material, in joints and cracks of coop, dust over the top before replacing the roof, DE inside the run.

Repeat.

Keep them cleaned out, and DE the bedding, seems to be under control so far, will be cleaning them out at the weekend again anyway.

Some people will say DE doesn't work, some swear by it. Worked for me......so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by