compost

I have read an article in gardeningknowhow.com. It details tips for composting feathers:
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/composting/ingredients/composting-bird-feathers.htm
so it seems that feather also can be composted with other organic materials.

But if you want to compost chicken poo, it is better to add green materials such as vegetable waste, leaves into your pile to fasten the whole composting process. You can see in this article that C:N ratio becomes an important factor affecting the quality of the finished compost.
Parameters Affecting Composting Process

Thanks for those links, oliveialewis. The second one is just chock full of excellent specifics.

I got a laugh out of putting down pillows on the pile for feathers. But then I once cut apart an old tired pair of Uggs slippers and put the hides in my pile. Never saw them again when I broke the pile apart. They gave their all for my comfort and benefit!

Feathers can be added to compost with out worry. Feather meal is sold as an organic amendment. They are ground to accelerate their decomposition so obviously the unground feathers would break down slowly but with a good active pile it wont take too long.

Back
Top Bottom