Composting chicken poo.............

I think there were a few threads on this...but...I throw mine in a big pile with other stuff! It is real complicated because my aim is off sometimes and I miss and then I have another pile next to the pile...sometimes a critter gets in it and I get it spread for me

I have a 4x4x6 vented box that I dump my coop litter and kitchen waste into. I try to stir it now and then with a pitchfork. Once a year I put it in my garden
smile.png

I just throw mine onto the compost heap, which is not at all enclosed. The chickens stir it for me. I put the kitchen scraps on one side of the pile and the chicken poo on another, just because I don't like the thought of them eating out of their poo pile. But they have to search through the poo side anyway, so it probably doesn't matter. I add compost to the garden about once a year. Easy as dirt.

I guess I could add that my pile(s) is in my garden so come spreading time the boys and I kinda surround it and start raking out...

There you go! You're stirring it
smile.png

My cousin's husband works in a government recycling/composting facility and told me that with correct humidity and aeration they can turn solid household waste into compost in 2 weeks! I decided to give an attempt any time it starts smelling a bit. It's gross.

We put it in the compost bin with the kitchen and yard waste. A friend has horses and I put some of their poo in there too. Stir it every once and a while. Add a little water when necessary. Feed maggots to the chickens once in a while.

Ta Daaa, put really good dirt in the garden.

I just throw my chicken coop litter on the ground around my yard. The girls spread the mulch for me and dig it in. I do have to rake it off my paths every so often when they get over enthusiastic in their landscaping efforts.

ETA in the spring I'll go back to doing what I did last summer, which was to put my litter in the yard waste bin (city collects it for us urbanites). I don't have a compost bin yet b/c I need to rip out the boxwood that's where I'd put the bin.

Last edited:
Spring and summer it all goes into a big pile downhill from the coop. THe girls work it pretty hard so I have to raking it back into a pile fairly regularly. By fall there's not much left volume wise. Composted down and scattered by the hens. The remains all gets trucked up to the veggie garden after the last harvest.

During the winter I just dump all the coop cleanings straight onto the garden. With the amount of rain we get and the birds occasionally turning it it's not going to be to nutrient heavy by spring. Around February I'll scatter so lime on the garden areas when I know i won't be letting anyone out to free range for a few days. The rain will wash the lime down into the soil and make it even better.

Most of our kitchen scraps go straight into the run for the girls. What's not good for them goes into a compost barrel they can't get into.

Back
Top Bottom