Composting Coop 'Bedding'

If I were you, I'd layer the shavings into your regular compost. The shavings are high carbon, your household scraps and chicken manure are high nitrogen. Shavings layered with grass clippings would be an other winner. This is my first year (in a very, very long time) having chickens and the bounty they are producing for my garden. I can't wait to see how it all plays out. I hope everyone will report back re: their success and failures as the garden season gets underway.

Thanks! I'm composting everything together now, so we'll see what happens. I'm interested to know how it works out for everyone else as well.

Thanks! I'm composting everything together now, so we'll see what happens. I'm interested to know how it works out for everyone else as well.
Now all the garden boxes are turned over and over again, lots of coop compost in them. They are all covered in plastic and with this So. Cal. sun they are all cooking....... This is the first year that I've done this method (never had the time) and I'm hoping for more disease and pest free season...

Now all the garden boxes are turned over and over again, lots of coop compost in them. They are all covered in plastic and with this So. Cal. sun they are all cooking....... This is the first year that I've done this method (never had the time) and I'm hoping for more disease and pest free season...

We've got ours in transparent hard plastic barrels that we roll around. I can't wait to see the results. I'm really looking forward to a more productive garden this year! Hopefully with the chickens taking care of pests and better management on my part that will happen.
big_smile.png

wee.gif

When some people look in their coops and see poopsicles... I look in and see pre-packaged fertilizer nuggets. Tomorrow is supposed to get up to 25 degrees, so I hope to put shovel and rake to use then.

hosspak: You make me so so so so very jealous!!! Is it wrong for a woman to be jealous about someone else's poo?

wee.gif

When some people look in their coops and see poopsicles... I look in and see pre-packaged fertilizer nuggets. Tomorrow is supposed to get up to 25 degrees, so I hope to put shovel and rake to use then.

hosspak: You make me so so so so very jealous!!! Is it wrong for a woman to be jealous about someone else's poo?
Not wrong..... just a little weird!
gig.gif

Has anyone composted rice hulls. I use them in the hen house. I'd like to use my chicken poo in my garden but it is mixed with rice hulls. Not sure how long it will take to break down.
Whatever you can get your hands on, pretty much can go into the garden. In your neck of the woods it would be hard to do, but it would be very beneficial to work everything into the soil and cover it with clear plastic and let it cook for a month. It's easier down here in sunny So. Cal. But cooking the soil should greatly enhance the growth and your harvest. Have you tried tossing straw in the coop and run? My flock had broken down a full bale of straw, perfect for turning it over in the garden, in less than 6 months.

I would put that pile back into the run and let the flock break it all down.... then gradually add that into the compost or straight into the garden.. my girls are doing most of the work for me...

We are new to chickens, so this will be my first year using chicken and rabbit poo for my garden. I am planning to do what you described and put it out in the run for the chickens to scratch through. Do you put your scraps and treats in that same pile to encourage them to 'turn it'?

At what point to you add this mixture to your garden? During the tilling process? What about the rest of the garden season?

We are new to chickens, so this will be my first year using chicken and rabbit poo for my garden. I am planning to do what you described and put it out in the run for the chickens to scratch through. Do you put your scraps and treats in that same pile to encourage them to 'turn it'?

At what point to you add this mixture to your garden? During the tilling process? What about the rest of the garden season?
We started putting it in the garden halfway through the season last year and turned in it around the plants. We added it pretty thick in December after the last of the plants were taken out and had turned to soil over 3 or 4 times during Dec and Jan. We covered them about 2 weeks ago so they can cook for at least a month before we transplant.

I have 2 EE's still working this bed...Too cold and rainy to move it back into the big run.

Back
Top Bottom