Composting in the run

Can anyone advise how old pullets must be before they can start composting?
I have 9 week old pullets & an enclosed compost bin - I want to empty the compost bin into the the chook enclosure & let the chooks do the work but am confused about age milestones for my chooks.
All advice welcome..... Thanks in advance
Dee from Brisbane Australia

I have thought about this but have some concerns. So my flock sort of semi-free ranges; large fenced in area during the day and a smaller secure area and coop at night. The secure area isn't large enough for a compost bin so it would have to go in the large fenced area. However, I'm afraid it would attract predators like raccoons and opossums. Even though the flock would be locked up safely at night, I just don't like the thought of those thugs close to my girls.

We start giving our chicks greens from the yard with dirt on the roots after a few days from hatch. Once they are a week or two old, they start going outside and exploring in a 'chick tractor,' weather pending. If they were being raised by momma hen, they would be outside from day one. So I don't think age matters. I would just be somewhat cautions of what they are composting, as kitchen scraps are not naturally occurring. So, if you are sticking with greens and such, I think young birds are fine. Once they are full(ish) size, I think they will be fine to get it all.

Edit: I mention size because I have found that the younger pullets stay away from kitchen scraps, but will absolutely devour greens like lettuce and kale. The larger pullets and hens prefer to go after other scraps and only pay attention to the greens when they younger one want them.

Last edited:
Quote:
I can't really talk, I have never seen any evidence of coons, opossums or any other preditor that would be of concern in our yard. I have a large county surburban lot (if that make since) within a hundred yards of a highway - which is not busy, but is well lit. Maybe the light source has something to do with it?? What are your thoughts on this? Honestly, we don't even close the pop door at night anymore, I know I know but the only preditor we do have are palmetto bugs the size of Velociraptors

Can anyone advise how old pullets must be before they can start composting?
I have 9 week old pullets & an enclosed compost bin - I want to empty the compost bin into the the chook enclosure & let the chooks do the work but am confused about age milestones for my chooks.
All advice welcome..... Thanks in advance
Dee from Brisbane Australia
If you spread out your pile so it dries, actual "composting" will stop.
All the chickens do is add nitrogen and mix things in.

MOISTURE and HEAT are required for true "composting", and you won't get that in most runs unless you're willing to wait many months

http://www.howtocompost.org/info/info_composting.asp

Last edited:
Yes- compost heaps attract critters. Opossum, raccons, skunks, mice/rats- and what likes to hunt them, etc- most of which is more active at night. A bin reduces that a bit- as does making sure food scraps are buried in the pile vs just tossed on top.

Not sure what your goal is, but if you are looking to produce a quality compost- keep it in the enclosed bin. Nitrogen is volatile (easily goes into gaseous form at lower temps.) Spreading it out just exposes more of it to nitrogen loss and Bear is right in that it will take significantly longer for the (carbon) materials to break down- as you're switching into cold composting.

My compost bin is in the run but all that goes in it is water, sand, poo and straw from when I clean under the roost weekly and daily from the poo I collect around the run. We mix it weekly and after it has well rotted we use it on the veggie garden. I keep it covered as I dunno the thought of my chooks scratching around in their own poo doesn't appeal to me much, especially when thay all want to sit on my lap

Quote:
You should not use compost that has manure in it for your veggie garden that is less than 120 days old. Before then, the manure is not effectively broken down and may contain e-coli and salmonella whcich will end up in your veggies. So, if your using your compost as a poo catcher, clean it out once a season, and let it sit for a bit before you spread it in your garden.

You guys have answered so many questions for me, thanks!

I open air compost (just have a pile I water and add to) and have zero signs of rodents although I had them many years ago but now our backyard is covered in cats. (It has clearly helped)

I think I'm moving the compost pile to the run at this point...

Good info, as always.

Back
Top Bottom