Composting Pine Pellets

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by operator16, Jun 13, 2010.

1. operator16

operator16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Colorado
    Can I do it? The chicks are outside, but my brooders sit in our shop still filled with lots of poop and 1/2 broken down pine pellets. Can I dump all of that into my compost pile?

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Just make sure you add extra moisture to the pile. Those things really soak it up.

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Mine self-compost when it rains. It's true that they soak up a lot of moisture, but they compost way faster than the pine chips!!

4. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I use them as kitty litter. Really keeps the smell down. But I don't compost the kitty litter.

5. LittleChocobo

LittleChocobo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    The packaging says that they're ready for composting, and that's what we do with the pellets we use in the horse stalls - they go into the manure pile, which is waiting to break down a bit before being spread. But, as people have been saying, they absorb a lot of moisture. They break down a lot easier with the moisture, too, so if you let them soak in water or dump some water into the compost heap, they'll be falling apart.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by