Composting System

Hope this helps.
Yes, it does.
So you don't have much trouble with stuff sprouting in the 'collections runs'?
Any nothing growing adjacent that would migrate into the 'gold mines'?
I have turf and other grasses/plants growing right next to run, stuff grows like crazy with all those nutrients. I end up mulching heavily with cut grass/plants to keep it down.

I've begun to experiment with adding horse stall cleanings right into the run. They love sifting through it and I think this extra quantity of greens will speed the composting process. There is no obvious manure within hours. Then barn floor sweepings go in daily, comprised of hay and bits of sawdust and shavings. I'm curious to see how much horse manure they can process using this system. I sure can use all the compost I can get.

Yes, it does.
So you don't have much trouble with stuff sprouting in the 'collections runs'?
Any nothing growing adjacent that would migrate into the 'gold mines'?
I have turf and other grasses/plants growing right next to run, stuff grows like crazy with all those nutrients. I end up mulching heavily with cut grass/plants to keep it down.

No, no issues as my coop and run are in a canopy of shade, huge trees... little grows well.

Just a little composting update. Mild setback from the big windstorm that blew through. Many of the leaves I had in the run were blown into the corners or out altogether. However, the ladies had shredded and stamped everything down into approximately 1 inch of small material. It is a start and it has been enough to pass the two day poop test.

A HUGE boon arrived in the mail today. Tired of raking, I ordered an agri-fab 44" lawn sweeper to pick up leaves and grass clippings. It took a little adjusting to get it correct, but I am definitely impressed. I only have scattered leaves in the yard at this point and just a couple passes filled the bag-sticks, garbage, grass, dirt, nuts, acorns, leaves...it all went in. Within minutes I had a large pile in front of the door.

The only tedious part now (aside from running over an extension cord to the girls' heated water and coiling it in the sweeper brush) is pushing it all into the run. After getting it done the ladies have a huge leaf pile that they can dig to the bottom of and disappear if they want to haha. I threw some mealworms in there and watched them go to town. If I can keep the leaves in the run there will be plenty of carbon to go with the chicken poop nitrogen. Hope they have fun with it and it breaks down nicely.

Pictures of the play time to follow :D

needless to say i try to pick out any trash in the piles. I do worry about these spiky balls that fall off the trees here though.
Those spiky balls are PROBABLY sweetgum "gumdrops" and won't hurt anything. Worst thing they will do is try to grow a tree. Unless of course you intend to go walking around barefoot in the chicken area... If you mean Chestnut hulls, THEN I would worry, but as long as it's the "gumdrops" you'll be fine.

True. I think the girls have it well in hand. They have spread it around about 3/4 of the run keeping it 6-12 inches. I throw some mealworms in there and they dig it all around as well as repeatedly dig little beds for themselves to lay down in-or baths. I just keep seeing them lay in it or leave little craters behind. I'm surprised at how quickly they have begun shredding it. But what else do they have to do all day I suppose? Fortunately, it has been chilly and dry here of late. Allowing them to spread it and prevent much sticking together. As quick as I can pick it up, I should have a deep bed soon enough! Come warmer months the leaves will be grass clippings. I think i should use a snow shovel instead of a rake to push it in though :p

Back
Top Bottom