composting with chickens

Kimberly4403

Chirping
May 18, 2015
For those of you who compost with chickens or allow your chickebs to have access to compost areas is there anything you dont put into your compost such as avocado or specific herbs that could be toxic etc oviously plant matterial if its had pesticides on it would be a no no but fruit and veg etc anything other than avocado or is it true they wont eat anything thats poisonous?

Most of my composting is done in my chicken run - wood chips, garden scraps, weeds, grass clippings, table scraps, etc. Virtually everything goes in there - except foods that are potentially toxic for them. I keep a small compost pile on the edge of my garden and that's where those go - it's a tiny pile by comparison, so it breaks down pretty quickly with the native birds, insects, etc working it, and I toss it around whenever I work in the garden. It may be safe to toss it into the coop, but I never do - it's not like I'm putting 30 avacados in there every day so it's easy to manage, and the risk/reward is so low in the event that it killed or weakened a bird that it isn't worth the hassle to even try it inside the run for me...

Back
Top Bottom