composting

Very nice!!! Thanks for all the pics, it's always fun to see how other people do it. My chickens are responsible for me making better compost because they get my lazy old hiney out there to mess with it! lol I have such fun out there in the morning with them happily scratching out the almost done compost I just put there the day before.
Sorry, photo freak. I love when people post photos so i keep doing it... maybe set a trend???
Ah yes, Chicken therapy... :love I gotta get my fix a few times a day. They are just plain silly. :D

hey all! I haven't put a compost pile in my run because I'm afraid that some of the things I compost aren't good for the girls… Coffee grounds? Avocado shells and pits? Rotten tomatoes? do I need not worry about these things? I would love to have my compost pile in the run! thoughts? thanks!

hey all! I haven't put a compost pile in my run because I'm afraid that some of the things I compost aren't good for the girls… Coffee grounds? Avocado shells and pits? Rotten tomatoes? do I need not worry about these things? I would love to have my compost pile in the run! thoughts? thanks!
Can you have two piles? I put leaves in chickens run to scratch up and poop on. Official compost piles are not in the chicken run. Just pallets tied together. Then after the piles have digested I’ll let them scratch in mostly finished stuff.
People do it all different ways. I have a small flock so I try to keep risk low.

If you are concerned about any of them, I would just put them in the compost and then turn it over. If it's high enough, the girls won't dig that low and will start to compost before you do. That being said, I literally put all of those items in my compost pile on top and have had no problems. They eat what they want and leave the rest alone. Then I turn it and start again with my next kitchen scraps load

Can you have two piles? I put leaves in chickens run to scratch up and poop on. Official compost piles are not in the chicken run. Just pallets tied together. Then after the piles have digested I’ll let them scratch in mostly finished stuff.
People do it all different ways. I have a small flock so I try to keep risk low.

this is what we do - add light stuff, like leaves, and have a separate compost pile outside the run. When we’d let them out, they always made their way to the compost bin, often picking out the egg shells to eat or the soft tomatoes.

We tried to have a regular compost pile in the run, but they spread out the stuff so much that it became just messy, not quite together enough to compost. Also, they love to dust bathe so much that instead of the compost area, we turned that spot into an area with added sand, peat moss, and sawdust to make a nice light mix that they enjoy quite a bit.

Back
Top Bottom