compulsive / psychotic crowing help.

erinrstrain

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 25, 2018
NC Mountains
We have a 5 month old mixed flock of 10. Only one was supposed to be a rooster, a silkie, but as luck would have it the Jersey Giant was a surprise rooster. He is definitely the boss and they currently get along fine. The issue is that he crows CONSTANTLY. I just clocked him at 16 crows in 5 minutes. We live in the country but our neighbors can hear him and it grates on your nerves after a while. Is he doing this because he’s a hormonal teenager? He isn’t quite the gentleman I’ve heard roosters can be with the girls, either.

If you have more than one rooster they sometimes have crowing contests... one will crow, then the other crows, and so on... it can last for hours.
Or it could just be his personality, he could be a vocal fella. :oops:
In my experience the hormonal teenagers are loud. It's like once they realize they can crow they don't know when to hush!! Most of them tend to mellow out after their first spring and not be quite so annoying. But... it depends on the individual rooster. Some are simply proud of that crow and want to share it with the world. :barnie

He is immature. Consider penning him away from balance of flock until all are in mature feathers. The crowing may not be affected, but is attentions on the pullets will be controlled.

Some of the feather problems associated with "overbreeding" may be related to large rooster size. I think you will see that later unless interactions he has with hens later is limited.

I love all these scientific and realistic answers. I have a rooster that likes to crow as like a show of dominance around me. I, in return, make a loud yelling noise that kindaaaa sounds like a crow and make sure it’s louder than him so he knows I’m boss. Not exactly scentific but it’s kinda fun yelling at him because he’s a butt. I do know about the crowing battles, a few months ago some of our neighbors had a bantam rooster and we have two roosters (my loud one that I mentioned a sentence ago and another much calmer roo) would have a three way battle at five thirty when I’d get up to feed everyone before school. Our neighbors loved us hmhmhm. I can also vouch for the calming with age, my second too used to crow quite a bit just for fun and now that he’s older he’s just the strong silent type lol. Good luck with your boy.

thanks everyone. my little silkie fella can crow but he rarely does. maybe a few in the morning but he leaves the rest to the big guy. he puffed up and showed aggression towards my 5 year old son tonight, which was a first. we have 3 boys under 5 and he if he can’t handle him he’ll have to go, unfortunately.

Attachments

• 5D98C3E9-948C-4032-9011-EFC3027B405A.jpeg
    5D98C3E9-948C-4032-9011-EFC3027B405A.jpeg
    559.3 KB · Views: 4
thanks everyone. my little silkie fella can crow but he rarely does. maybe a few in the morning but he leaves the rest to the big guy. he puffed up and showed aggression towards my 5 year old son tonight, which was a first. we have 3 boys under 5 and he if he can’t handle him he’ll have to go, unfortunately.
You’re silkie or loudmouth?

Back
Top Bottom