Computer virus

Buy a Mac. (My PC using friends all want to throw something at me when I say that)
hide.gif

Yay Chicks! :

Buy a Mac. (My PC using friends all want to throw something at me when I say that)
hide.gif

May I venture to suggest that Macs are no more secure than Windows? Security through obscurity is not true security.

Don't believe me? Mayhap you would wish to google 'silverlight datagrid column template sort' and try clicking the first 10 or so results?

But really, DON'T DO THE ABOVE SEARCH. Trust me. DON'T DO IT. Unless you honestly believe that Macs are immune to viruses.
wink.png
Again, I'll warn you so noone can accuse me of stuff. DON'T GOOGLE THE ABOVE TERMS. IT WILL PWN YOUR COMPUTER, MAC OR OTHERWISE.

My point being, Macs are not as secure as commonly thought. We now return to your regularly scheduled programming.​

Quote:
That's a common trick that the bad guys use. The "virus scanner" you saw was probably a virus itself, trying to trick you into panicking and doing whatever it says. The most important thing to do is DON'T PANIC. Don't do anything the "scanner" tells you to do. Close your browser immediately.

I'd recommend that you use Microsoft's free anti-virus software. You can get it free at http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/security_essentials/default.aspx Once you've installed it, run a full system scan. It'll probably take a few hours to run. When it's finished, make sure you tell it to remove anything it finds.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
If you use comcast they let you use Norton for free. Make it do a full system scan and it will terminate viruses. IF all else fails I think if you just wipe you computer it will be ok. (wipe as in you clear every thing on it and I mean everything.)

spybot.com is great and it's free. Spybot is my goto program when something pops up on mine (not very often). DO NOT pay money to a pop up "virus scanner". It IS a virus....
Malwarebytes.com is great for malware type problems.

Quote:
May I venture to suggest that Macs are no more secure than Windows? Security through obscurity is not true security.

Don't believe me? Mayhap you would wish to google 'silverlight datagrid column template sort' and try clicking the first 10 or so results?

But really, DON'T DO THE ABOVE SEARCH. Trust me. DON'T DO IT. Unless you honestly believe that Macs are immune to viruses.
wink.png
Again, I'll warn you so noone can accuse me of stuff. DON'T GOOGLE THE ABOVE TERMS. IT WILL PWN YOUR COMPUTER, MAC OR OTHERWISE.

My point being, Macs are not as secure as commonly thought. We now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

Yes, the reason Macs don't get as many viruses is because less people use them. Hackers can target more people by creating a virus for PC.

Back
Top Bottom