Conccidiosis with Chicks

InterestingChickens

Free Ranging
Aug 19, 2020
Victoria, Australia
Hi,
I just brought two chicks home. The breeders said they were two weeks old, but they look older. They weren't vaccinated, but they put ACV in their water. On the way I home I noticed a few of one of their poos where a redish colour. I didn't think that was too much of a problem at the time. But arfter putting them in a brooder with another two chicks, we handled them a bit and one of them pooed another red, sloppy poo. I wasn't sure about the other one that we got today though so I put them together in a separate container. Thanks for any replies.

Last edited:
They are very active, I will go get medicated feed tomorrow and try to get corrid. Thanks for all your help. If it is a intestinal lineing how long should it take to go away? I can't go get the medication now as it is 7:30 pm here. Would it be okay to seperate them for tonight?
It takes me forever to attach pictures. My phone is so slow.

Pictures:
20210307_185641.jpg
20210307_185618.jpg

The first one is dryed out, from yesterday and the other one is from yesterday as well. The chicken that was doing the poos is now doing them more like a normal poo, not runny, but still a bit red, though it's alot more brown. It also doesn't seem to happen every poo.

They are very active, I will go get medicated feed tomorrow and try to get corrid. Thanks for all your help. If it is a intestinal lineing how long should it take to go away? I can't go get the medication now as it is 7:30 pm here. Would it be okay to seperate them for tonight?
Medicated feed will not treat a coccidiosis infection. You need to get the Corid and treat them with that as soon as possible. The correct dosage for a severe outbreak is 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid to one gallon of water. This must be their exclusive source of drinking water for 7 days. After that, you reduce the dosage to 1 teaspoon to 1 gallon of water and continue for another 5 to 7 days. For these two chicks I would additionally put two drops of straight Corid into their beaks three times a day for the first three or four days.

Back
Top Bottom