Concentrated Corid for sick chick??

Thank you everyone for the quick responses. I have already rethought my idea to just treat the one chick since at 8 wks old, even though acting sick she keeps flying out of the box that I was trying to keep her in inside the house & constantly cheeping. She missed her sisters! I started them all on Corid 1.5 tsp powder/gallon water tonight. I don't think this will harm the healthy ones even though this is the 3rd treatment round in 8 wks? I didn't mention this in the original post but I have them on medicated starter feed since I got them at a few days old. They were sexed & from a hatchery but the person I bought from did not think they were vaccinated because he didn't ask them to. Kathy, I would also like to treat the sick one as you recommended but how do you weigh a chick? Any guess at how much an 8 wk buff orphington should weigh? This little chick is not as sick as she was at 3 wks old but the last couple of days I noticed her not always eating with the others but walking away after eating just a little. She isn't running around as much, feathers more puffed out, tail down & her beak looks paler than the others. The short period of time I had her inside she did eat & drink a little so I hope I caught this early. Again, thanks to everyone, I've only had chickens a few months & this is a learning experience!

If she's smaller than the others my best guess on weight would be 500-700 grams, but let me double check a few things.

To weigh mine I use a kitchen scale that I bought at Target.

-Kathy

Here is a table I found for "commercial" type chickens. BO's are quite a bit bigger, maybe even as large as my peachicks are. Just looked up the weight data on my peachicks at 8 weeks and they weighed 600-900 grams.

Source:http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps046
Table 2.
Example of target body weights during the rearing of replacement pullets.

Body weight
(Pounds)

(Grams)

Does that help?

-Kathy

Last edited:
I think a safe amount to give would be for a 500 gram chick, so give 0.18ml of the mix twice a day. Ignore my orininal direction, I think I made a typo.

-Kathy

Discalimer: Not thinking staright right now, so give me an hour to verify amounts.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I will visit Walmart tomorrow for a kitchen scale!! Thanks bunches. P.S. My husband says we will probably break even on the cost of these chicks in year 2020! Whatever, these girls love to be held & petted, come running when they see me vying for attention. Eggs will just be a bonus someday.

Got blood sugar up and thinking better, lol.

1/2 teaspoon = 270mg amprolium + 10 ml of water, so that means that you have 10ml of water with 270mg amprolium, which means each one ml has 27mg amprolium. The dose I use is 20mg/kg once a day or 10mg/kg twice a day, so the math for a 500 gram (0.5kg) chick looks like this:

0.5 x 20 / 27 = 0.37 ml once a day
*or*
0.5 x 10 / 27 = 0.185 ml twice a day

Sorry if this is confusing, I don't mean for it to be, but I do make mistakes, so I like letting people know what math I used in case I made an error.

This site has a good article on how to give oral meds:
http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/oral_dosing_article.htm

-Kathy

I will visit Walmart tomorrow for a kitchen scale!! Thanks bunches. P.S. My husband says we will probably break even on the cost of these chicks in year 2020! Whatever, these girls love to be held & petted, come running when they see me vying for attention. Eggs will just be a bonus someday.
BO's are one of my favorite breeds!

-Kathy

I bought a scale at Walmart, it wasn't digital, just a dial. By this scale the little sick one was a little over 200 gms. Probably starting to get dehydrated. Since I gave her 0.18cc last night I let that be a once a day dose & will give 0.14 cc after 24 hrs. for a second dose or try to measure out 0.07cc BID. Do you think that sounds right? Her sisters range from 350 to a little over 400 grams. This picture show them in comparison with my 8 mth old Jersey giant hens which I would guess are about 4-5 times bigger. ( They don't like to be held to weigh) The Jerseys are about the size of most adult hens I've seen. The chick coop is 2 ft X 4 ft to help judge size.

Back
Top Bottom