Concern about getting rid of unwanted cockerals.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hanneymanor, Feb 19, 2009.

1. hanneymanor

hanneymanor New Egg

Feb 17, 2009
    Hi we live in Oxfordshire England and we are considering increasing our flock by hatching some eggs! We already have 5 maran eggs on the go but want to do some more if all goes well this time. Maybe with other breeds. The only thing that i am worried about is unwanted cockerals! I'm hopeing that if i pick the breeds well i may find the market for certain breeds of birds are better! Would any one have any tips for me on this matter. I have no worries about birds for meat but I will not be able to do the deed myself!
    Thanks for your time,
    Nicola

2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I have been there several times myself. I just make sure I find people I know will treat them right....don't have a probelm with them being eaten as long as they are treated with kindness when they are alive. [​IMG] I always stress and worry but feel confident I have managed to find good homes so far. Just talk to the people, try to get a feel for them, trust your instincts on this one. [​IMG] Good luck.

3. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    I have to sell mine or give them away. I also cannot "do the deed" myself.
    ~Rebecca

4. sugarbush

sugarbush Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Lexington KY
    I self process almost 50 birds a year for our own table. But this area also has a large Spanish sub-culture and they will take as many chickens they can get and will even pay several dollars for one. They take them alive and do the butchering themselves as well.

You may want to research incubator temp control and hatch sexes. hatcheries run very specific temps in order to reduce the male population in a hatch. There is no evidence that I can find that it works, but it is worth a try even if it only saves you one male per hatch.

5. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:lol .... you can find no evidence because there isn't any. It doesn't work for birds.

It does work for reptiles, and somehow the rumour spread.

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Quote:interesting about the temps. I keep hatching a ratio of about four or five pullets per roo. I ain't touching a THING temp wise. If it ain't broke, (or if the thermometer is broke "just right") then I am not fixing it. I thought the first time was a fluke, but it has happened almost every hatch since weeks ago. I am running a continuous hatch, new sets maybe every week or two times in a week and I keep getting mostly pullets. I can't wait to see if it holds true with bought and trade eggs. I have not kept specific numbers, but there have NEVER been as many or more roos in any hatch I have ever done.

7. hanneymanor

hanneymanor New Egg

Feb 17, 2009
    Thanks for your help everyone! And i've got my fingers crossed for girls not boys but I will let u know !

8. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    If you do get more cockerals, have a stew in a few months...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by