Concerned about day old chicks

ecollins7

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
This is my first time hatching chicks so I have a few concerns. One of my chicks still has the umbilical cord attached (which I have read is normal) however, it does not seem to be pooping at all and it is about a day old, this concerns me because I have others that are a few days older that are pooping up a storm to say the least. Is this normal? Is there anything I should do to make sure everything is ok?
Also, another one of my chicks has curled toes. It's left foot is almost completely curled and one toes on it's right foot is bent. I have read that I can make little chick sandals to help straighten them out. I am wondering if this is my best option or if there is something else that would be more effective?
Please let me know!

welcome-byc.gif

Watch the little chick when it eats. They usually "go" soon after eating. Check if it's straining and/or complaining when it needs to relieve itself. The curled toes can be fixed easily with boots. Here's some more info on how to make and use them:

https://sites.google.com/a/larsencreek.com/chicken-orthopedics/leg-braces

Thank you! For the chick with the umbilical cord, I know I currently have him with only two other chicks (all hatched yesterday) and with a dog mat and paper towel bedding. Over the last day there has been very minimal poop where they are, it has concerned me for all three of the chicks but more so for the one with the umbilical cord because I have seen each of the others relieve themselves. I will watch for straining and complaining as well. If I don't see straining or complaining does that mean I should not be worried or that I should do something else?

Back
Top Bottom