Concerned about my chicks, have some questions

dani

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 26, 2008
I have two eggs in my incubator and one of them is supposed to hatch today, but it isn't pipping doing anything. Is my chicken going to die? Is there anyway to tell if its dead already? This is also my first time hatching eggs, are the eggs supposed to be sitting up right or can they be on their side?

hi Dani
frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif

Give it time - sometimes it can take a day or two for full hatch. Do you hear any peeping?

Were your temps steady day 1-18 ??? And did you up your hum on day 18 ??? If your temps went down and up a little that could delay the hatch !!!!! It's still early only day 21, egg hatching dates are not set in stone !!!!!

What is your temp and hum at now ???

Some people lay the eggs on there side ( I do ) and some use the egg carton method ( big side of egg up ) It all depends on how you wanna do it..... I like doing it on there sides only b/c if anyone pips on the wrong end I can see it !!!!

Dont panic yet like I said it's still early !!!!

I haven't had the chance to hatch any eggs yet with a bator.

Which end are they supposed to pip?

And also, you are to turn up the humidity at the end?

Good luck with the hatch & WELCOME!!!!
big_smile.png

Quote:
They should pip the large/bigger end of the egg (where the air sac is)

And yes on day 18 you should up the hum to 60%-70%

Day 1-18 should be 35%-45%

Good luck !!!!

The temp has been at 99.5 everyday they have been in the bator. As for the humidity I don't have anything monitoring that, what do you even use to monitor humidity? I have been putting water in the bottom of the bator and have a wet sponge in there. And so far I hear no peeping.

Quote:
They sell hum gages at walmart !!!!! Makes it MUCH easier to know what your hum is at!!!!
If the hum is not high enought on hatch day the chicks could stick to there shell and might not hatch, if its too high the chicks could drown in there shell..... After this hatch you might want to get one !!!!! Keep me updated !!!!

ohh, and is it a still air incubator ??

It is a still air incubator. We had been candling them up until the 17th or 18th day and they were still growing and moving around.

Back
Top Bottom