Concerned ... coop color in full sun, hot weather

Chicabee19

Songster
11 Years
Aug 8, 2008
n/a
Where we live it gets very hot. Our shed will be in full sun - nowhere else to put it. The stand-alone coop will be inside the shed.

I notice a lot of people paint their coops darker colors.

What to paint the shed to help keep the coop cool in summer?

I guess what I was really trying to say was:

"can I see your pics of light-colored coops?"
tongue.png

A solid roof over the run will help too, because they'll have some shade as the sun tracks scross the sky.

I plan to cover the run with wavy fiberglass, which I will whitewash for summer -- in winter that will wash off so they can have warmth.​

I agree with 'SewingDiva'. I live in Florida and it gets very hot here too. My coop is white. It's not to pretty but it works. I have my run covered. Here is a picture.
frow.gif

Quote:
This is an old picture. I have a foam pannel covered with aluminum left over from our back porch replacement, on top of the run. I don't have a current picture but will take one tomarrow.

2983_img_1384.jpg

I hadn't finished painting in this picture, but you get the drift. The white coops have red roofs. The original coop is red with white trim. I love that look, but the red seems to draw flies. Same is holding true on the new coops. The flies are all over the red trim, but not the red walls. Dunno.

The white coops went in about a month ago. The red coop went in back in May. It never got too bad in the red coop, but that one is under a tree.

Hope this helps.
smile.png

edited to add- The shade seems to be the biggest factor for us. The blue tarp was an August add. Before I put the tarp up the girls would all hang out in the coop in the hot part of the day (when the couldn't get out for free ranging). Once I put the tarp up they would scatter around in the shade under it. I hope to get grape vines and blackberry bushes planted around the perimeter to add more vegetative shade for them.

Last edited:
thanks c...

we're thinking alike...

my eventual goal is to have Wisteria covering the top of the run - up where the chickens can't reach the leaves, and honeysuckle sort of growing around the outsides where they can reach a few leaves from inside the run.

smile.png

Back
Top Bottom