Concerned--Day 18

After 18 days of incubation you won't be able to tell because the blastoderm/disc breaks down.
sad.png

Well dang. Oh well.
Don't blame yourself for doing something wrong. It takes a few tries at incubating to know what you are seeing. I think it's more likely that the eggs were the problem. So many things can happen to them BEFORE they get in the incubator. If they were fertile then they could have gotten chilled before you received them. Or they may have been handled roughly which would detach the blastoderrm from the yolk. The egg would then have no chance to develop.

You still have plenty of time before school is out for the summer. Find some fresh hatching eggs from someone locally and try again. Hatching can be a wonderful learning experience for the kids.
smile.png

I got the everything locally, from a hatchery near me. I went back into her barn with her where she had a bunch of brooders and the eggs were sitting on a shelf nestled in foam. She told me to let them warm up for about 6 hours before I put them in the incubator.

Maybe I'll see if I can find a good affordable incubator on amazon or someplace (since this one was a rental) and find another place with eggs and try again. You're right, there's still 3 months until school is out, we can keep trying!

Well dang. Oh well.

I got the everything locally, from a hatchery near me. I went back into her barn with her where she had a bunch of brooders and the eggs were sitting on a shelf nestled in foam. She told me to let them warm up for about 6 hours before I put them in the incubator.

Maybe I'll see if I can find a good affordable incubator on amazon or someplace (since this one was a rental) and find another place with eggs and try again. You're right, there's still 3 months until school is out, we can keep trying!
If you have a local 4-H or ag group in the area, they might be able to help you with an incubator and possibly even some eggs.

I talked with the teachers and explained everything to them. They've talked with the kids about the process and the likelyhood of some not hatching so they'll be prepared.

I've been toying with the idea of doing little hatches every year for the school--some of the other classes do this every year, and so when I found a brinsea on amazon's warehouse deals I picked it up, and I've posted in my local forum on here to try to get some eggs.

We'll try again, and we'll get it right eventually. :)

Thanks for the tips and support everyone! Truly appreciate it.

I talked with the teachers and explained everything to them. They've talked with the kids about the process and the likelyhood of some not hatching so they'll be prepared.

I've been toying with the idea of doing little hatches every year for the school--some of the other classes do this every year, and so when I found a brinsea on amazon's warehouse deals I picked it up, and I've posted in my local forum on here to try to get some eggs.

We'll try again, and we'll get it right eventually. :)

Thanks for the tips and support everyone! Truly appreciate it.
The Brinseas are some of the best, and the most fool proof, so you have great chances. Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom