Concerned for Egg Bacteria

Chickenluv456

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 18, 2012
I have a Guinea Fowl egg, and its been in the incubator for one week now, and hasnt rotted yet. But I'm seeing spots gathered mainly near the top of my egg, I've heard that this is bacteria gathering in my egg... If it is bacteria, will the chicken inside it live?

Have you candled the egg to see if its still developing? Do you only have the one egg? If there is an infection in the egg the chick will most likely die even if it does live to hatch. If the egg is infected it shouldn't be left in the incubator to contaminate the other eggs.

I'm confused about what you mean by spots. Are you saying the egg is porous? If so, I have just hatched a porous egg myself yesterday. Fully developed silkie with 0 problems. The egg looked a bit porous to begin with, but I wanted to see if it would hatch, and it did. It was a little harder to candle, but I could see it developing by day 7.

I have a Guinea Fowl egg, and its been in the incubator for one week now, and hasnt rotted yet. But I'm seeing spots gathered mainly near the top of my egg, I've heard that this is bacteria gathering in my egg... If it is bacteria, will the chicken inside it live?

Have you candled the egg to see if its still developing? Do you only have the one egg? If there is an infection in the egg the chick will most likely die even if it does live to hatch. If the egg is infected it shouldn't be left in the incubator to contaminate the other eggs.

Here is what my egg looks like there are no dots except for the ones you see, this is a week and 2 days after being in the incubator, again it hasn't rotted or shown signs of rotting, I would greatly appreciate an answer :). Thank you!
wee.gif
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
I'm confused about what you mean by spots. Are you saying the egg is porous? If so, I have just hatched a porous egg myself yesterday. Fully developed silkie with 0 problems. The egg looked a bit porous to begin with, but I wanted to see if it would hatch, and it did. It was a little harder to candle, but I could see it developing by day 7.
Please look at the post above
thumbsup.gif

Looks like a infertile porous egg to me. Try turning the egg by now you should be able to clearly see some veins. (red lines crossing each other on the membrane just under the shell.

Looks like a infertile porous egg to me.  Try turning the egg by now you should be able to clearly see some veins. (red lines crossing each other on the membrane just under the shell.

I haven't see any veins... I'm a bit worried is this chick dead or was it never even alive

Looks like a infertile porous egg to me. Try turning the egg by now you should be able to clearly see some veins. (red lines crossing each other on the membrane just under the shell.
x2

I haven't see any veins... I'm a bit worried is this chick dead or was it never even alive

That would depend on your personal belief and nobody else's...in regard to when a chick is a chick and when it's "just an egg"...and political debates are somewhat frowned upon here.

I agree with Kizanne - it looks like an infertile porous egg. Meaning - it was probably not fertilized to begin with. The only way to know for sure is to crack it open and inspect the yolk.

Is this the only egg you have or did you have more in this clutch that may still hatch for you? Good luck with the other eggs you might have or may get later! :)

x2

That would depend on your personal belief and nobody else's...in regard to when a chick is a chick and when it's "just an egg"...and political debates are somewhat frowned upon here.

I agree with Kizanne - it looks like an infertile porous egg. Meaning - it was probably not fertilized to begin with. The only way to know for sure is to crack it open and inspect the yolk.

Is this the only egg you have or did you have more in this clutch that may still hatch for you? Good luck with the other eggs you might have or may get later! :)
There is one other like it, I did crack it open and inspected the yolk but had no idea what I was looking for, I'm sorry, I'm very new to this
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom