Concerns with nest location

spiffwilkie

Songster
8 Years
Mar 22, 2011
Memphis, TN
One of my hens went broody about 5 days ago, and we've decided to hatch some eggs. My concern is the location of the nest. Our coop is raised and the nesting boxes are made of 5 gallon buckets that are laying on their with a portion cut off. The nest isn't in a suitable location for chicks, but I'm afraid if I try and move the hen/nest right now, she'll give up. Should I leave it as is and move the chicks when they hatch? Or is it worth it to try and move the nest now to a better location (I have a spot in my shed where I can move her)?

Any experiences?

When I have a hen go broody, I try to re-locate her before giving her eggs. I let her sit on ceramic eggs for a few days, then move her somewhere suitable and let her sit on the ceramic eggs for another day or two, to make sure she's serious, and then finally give her real eggs.

Of course, that doesn't help you if your broody is already setting on real eggs! So it's up to you, really. You can try moving her and the eggs and hope for the best, while also accepting that she might abandon them after the move. Or you can let her hatch them out and then move her. Is this her first time as a broody? Or has she been a successful momma before?

I have one hen who is such a serious broody that you could move her to a new place every day and she'd sit tight on the eggs, she has never abandoned a clutch once she decides to start setting. And she's great with the chicks once they hatch. But I had another hen go broody who seemed SO determined in the main coop, but became completely flighty after I moved her to a broody coop. So I never wound up giving her any real eggs! Every hen is different!

Good luck with however you decide to handle it!

my hens haven't taken if I move them. I would leave'm block her exit and then let her out 15-20 min. a day to do her thing, then the hens want to go back and if they don't I would put them back. make sure it is dark for her and she has air. good luck

Back
Top Bottom