condensation dripping on eggs

jkg

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 26, 2009
AZ
homemade incubator... first run. I just hit day 18 and jumped the humidity to around 75%. Condensation forms on the ceiling of the incubator (cooler) and drips on the eggs. It's not like its pouring rain, but does hit a few of the eggs now and then. Is this a problem?

it sure seems less than ideal, doesn't it? but, i've had the same issue and had great hatches.

although, I put the humidity at 60 for the hatch. the drips can still happen, but probably to a lesser extent.

good luck!

Quote:
Sounds to me like the humidity is too high.
I would try to get it back down to the 60-65% range. How high was the humidity during the first 18 days?

Best wishes,
Ed

I am not competent to comment on the whole "what is the proper humidity" issue, which confuses ME too
tongue.png

However, I will suggest that if you take a pillow or some such thing and lay it on the top of the incubator you may find that's sufficient to keep the top warm enough that condensation does not form. I've had to do this and it worked for me. Mind, if you do this you need to keep a close eye on the *temperature* to make sure it stays where it should (it may or may not require adjusting the thermostat), but if you are getting 'rain' on the eggs it may be worth trying.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat, going to bump the humidity up for lockdown this afternoon

Back
Top Bottom