Confirmation please

tn_artist

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Wilson, NC
I took our little ones outside and was sitting with them by the coop. Several hens came and laid eggs and left. I then heard an unfamiliar crow. I leaned back and only saw two birds, our lavender OEGB cockrel and our buff laced seabright. While I was watching, that stinking seabright crowed!
It is at least seven months old and I had never heard that crow.
I know seabrights are hen feathered, but I even thought she/it was one of our laying girls.
I know the crow means boy, but I need expert confirmation, please.
20190928_165633.jpg

20190928_170029.jpg
20190928_170431.jpg
20190928_170352.jpg

Last edited:
I'd say he is a cockerel. Female Sebrights have very small combs and wattles if at all, even in mature females. He is obviously not the dominant male, hence the non-crowing. He is likely decided that he is ready to challenge the dominant male, hence the crowing as if to say "I want some girls, bring it on". A rooster's crow is a challenge to other males "You think you can take my girls? Come and try!".

I'm not terribly familiar with sebrights, but if it's crowing at 7 months I would have to say it's a cockerel
He must be one smart little guy. We got rid of a bunch of cockrels and a few pullets a couple months ago. I guess he knew that if he crowed, he would be gone, too. We still need to re-home a bantam Delaware cockrel, bantam barred rock cockrel, and now this guy. I don't think it would be easy to find a matching female around here.

For a change I'm going to differ with everyone else. Although they are hen feathered, Sebright cockerels generally have a different conformation than that bird. I'd hang on to this bird for a bit longer until I was absolutely positive that it was a cockerel. I do agree that it is very rare for a pullet to crow - generally it is an aged hen that does so, but my gut says pullet on this one.

For a change I'm going to differ with everyone else. Although they are hen feathered, Sebright cockerels generally have a different conformation than that bird. I'd hang on to this bird for a bit longer until I was absolutely positive that it was a cockerel. I do agree that it is very rare for a pullet to crow - generally it is an aged hen that does so, but my gut says pullet on this one.
I need to buy stock in a no crow collar company. :he

Back
Top Bottom