Confirming Red Star/red sex-link male before re-homing...

sarahandbray

Songster
5 Years
Aug 12, 2014
Would like to re-home 4 Barred Rocks and 2 Red Star males to start reducing my straight-run flock.
Already 100% positive on the 4/7 Barred Rocks. How about these guys? I have two red sex-link females...so maybe these are males?
Random assortment from McMurray, 5 weeks old today.
Giving them away free on a Facebook Swap or Craigslist. Free is probably best? Or should I "charge" a nominal amount?

LRH97

Songster
7 Years
Jul 29, 2013
Southern Illinois
Yep those look like RSL males. That's the nice thing about sex-links. Males and females look different, so you know what you have! I had some RSL roos for sale a while ago too. I put $2 on them and a lady bought them to butcher. If no one seems interested, maybe offer them for free after a while.

AtlantisPeeps

Songster
5 Years
May 19, 2014
US
Yup! They are males! Male red sex linked are white with brown splotching on the wings. Females are all brown with a few hints of white. For the future when buying sex linked chicks, male chicks are yellow and female chicks are brown :)

sarahandbray

Songster
5 Years
Aug 12, 2014
Well...in McMurray's defense...I bought the Special Assorted Mix (which only comes straight run)...
So these two are safe to re-home, right?
Trying to keep two Roos out of my straight run batch of 44 chicks...hoping I have at least 16 hens, but I'm looking very Roo heavy!!
Sarah

LRH97

Songster
7 Years
Jul 29, 2013
Southern Illinois
Well...in McMurray's defense...I bought the Special Assorted Mix (which only comes straight run)...
So these two are safe to re-home, right?
Trying to keep two Roos out of my straight run batch of 44 chicks...hoping I have at least 16 hens, but I'm looking very Roo heavy!!
Sarah
Yes, they should be fine to re-home. McMurray sent me 5 RSL males (the ones I mentioned earlier) for some reason. I didn't order any assortments and I got plenty of birds, so there was no need for warmth. I still don't know why they did that. Oh well! I just sold 3 and kept 2 and they do grow into very handsome boys!

sarahandbray

Songster
5 Years
Aug 12, 2014
Think I can get a few dollars for them? I put them on Craigslist for $4 each, all 6 for $20. Is that reasonable? They're healthy, vaccinated birds, but I don't want to sound ridiculous asking for $$ for Roos.

sarahandbray

Songster
5 Years
Aug 12, 2014
Just saw that you put them on for $2. Oops! Didn't read closely. Will lower in a week or so. Would rather people keep them with their flock, but I know that's probably naive of me...

LRH97

Songster
7 Years
Jul 29, 2013
Southern Illinois
Just saw that you put them on for $2. Oops! Didn't read closely. Will lower in a week or so. Would rather people keep them with their flock, but I know that's probably naive of me...
I know it's hard to think that the birds you raise may end up on the table. I almost didn't sell them to that lady, but I was in the same boat you were in...too many roos! Because she was willing to pay and I was really in need to be rid of them, I jumped on it. Hopefully you'll find someone that wants some handsome "men" strutting around their yard.
smile.png

donrae

Hopelessly Addicted
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Jun 18, 2010
Southern Oregon
I say leave your ad on for a few days, you can always reduce the price if you get no takers.

Some folks around here think I'm crazy for charging the price I do for birds (pullets/young layers are $20). I saw an ad local recently for point of lay pullets for $8 each--I would never lose money like that! Plus, I always sell out of my birds, even at my "high" prices. It may take a week or two to sell them all, but that's okay with me.

Then again, around here I can't give cockerels away. Hopefully you have a better market!

sarahandbray

Songster
5 Years
Aug 12, 2014
Thanks! I checked Craigslist first and most people are charging something, something...luckily, I'm in no rush. No one's aggressive or not getting yet. Figured I should start looking and slowly reducing as I'm 100% positive rather than trying to rehome 20 Roos all at once in desperation!!

Top Bottom