Conflict in the flock

Presnell5

Songster
Oct 11, 2018
Santa Maria California
Hi! This is gonna be a long one. I hope you guys can help me. Ok so I had previously posted about a bully chicken and I got some good advice about my coop set up. So I added some blinds so they don’t see each other as much. I have 7 feeders. I have roosts and chairs and logs. That was all there when the problem started. So I have this hen a Rhode Island White and she has relentlessly attacked a new EE We have. She jumps on her back bites ,her neck, chases her. So much so that her back is bare. So 2 days after I wrote in she went broody along with my BO. So I let them raise chicks together. 4 new babies. She’s been a good mom. So now of course she’s chasing other chickens but I mean she’s a new mom so I can’t blame her entirely. She now will also attack her best friend though and I’m not to thrilled about that. However this morning she was chasing her babies away from food! And I just don’t get it! So I put her in confinement for the day and it’s so peaceful. But here’s the catch.... a couple weeks ago while white chicken was with the babies I caught the targeted EE jumping on the back of another down low on the pecking order hen. So now I don’t know what to think. Who’s actually causing the conflict. Could the bullied hen have learned this behavior? Could the “bully” hen just be keeping the other hen in check?! I’m just not sure where to go. They both lay good and are on the young side so I don’t want to give away but that might be my only option...? I’ve included a pic of my coop. They are out of it 90% of the time

Attachments

• C756B6C7-71A5-41BF-886E-A146E8D30EF9.jpeg
    C756B6C7-71A5-41BF-886E-A146E8D30EF9.jpeg
    14.3 KB · Views: 26
Hi! This is gonna be a long one. I hope you guys can help me. Ok so I had previously posted about a bully chicken and I got some good advice about my coop set up. So I added some blinds so they don’t see each other as much. I have 7 feeders. I have roosts and chairs and logs. That was all there when the problem started. So I have this hen a Rhode Island White and she has relentlessly attacked a new EE We have. She jumps on her back bites ,her neck, chases her. So much so that her back is bare. So 2 days after I wrote in she went broody along with my BO. So I let them raise chicks together. 4 new babies. She’s been a good mom. So now of course she’s chasing other chickens but I mean she’s a new mom so I can’t blame her entirely. She now will also attack her best friend though and I’m not to thrilled about that. However this morning she was chasing her babies away from food! And I just don’t get it! So I put her in confinement for the day and it’s so peaceful. But here’s the catch.... a couple weeks ago while white chicken was with the babies I caught the targeted EE jumping on the back of another down low on the pecking order hen. So now I don’t know what to think. Who’s actually causing the conflict. Could the bullied hen have learned this behavior? Could the “bully” hen just be keeping the other hen in check?! I’m just not sure where to go. They both lay good and are on the young side so I don’t want to give away but that might be my only option...? I’ve included a pic of my coop. They are out of it 90% of the time
I can see the pic you attached. How old are the "new chicks"

In my experience, the lower ranking hen will make sure she dominates fellow low ranking hens/new hens to ensure that she is not the lowest hen in the flock. Chicken society is brutal. I have found pretty good success in isolating the aggressive dominate hen for a few days. This seems to drop her down a peg or two in the hierarchy. Hopefully when she returns she will be more agreeable. It doesn't always work unfortunately.

In my experience, the lower ranking hen will make sure she dominates fellow low ranking hens/new hens to ensure that she is not the lowest hen in the flock. Chicken society is brutal. I have found pretty good success in isolating the aggressive dominate hen for a few days. This seems to drop her down a peg or two in the hierarchy. Hopefully when she returns she will be more agreeable. It doesn't always work unfortunately.
Ok well that makes me feel a bit better. Thank you

isolate the aggressive dominate hen for a few days like JLS said, I would still let the chicks roam off and on, supervised by you, with the other hens, then put them back in with the mother hen. at 4 weeks they can come out to play a few times a day.

isolate the aggressive dominate hen for a few days like JLS said, I would still let the chicks roam off and on, supervised by you, with the other hens, then put them back in with the mother hen. at 4 weeks they can come out to play a few times a day.
Awesome. She’s been isolated all day. The good news is that the babies have two moms so they are still protected and with their other mom. Thanks for your help!

Always solve for peace in the flock. I think you might need to remove 1 or 2 birds from your flock. If isolating that one bird, restored harmony to your flock, I would sell that bird. Now as your 4 chicks become full size, tension might rise again.

Chicken raising is really not about keeping every bird you get. It is more about creating a flock of birds that get along and fit in the establishment you have. You can start by basing your set up on 4 square feet per bird in the coop. But in the end, you need to have a peaceful flock. Sometimes there are birds that just do not work with this flock or with this set up.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom