Confused about coop/run combo sizing and need guidance ASAP....

You can get by with that for now. I have 17 in about 65 sq. ft. coop = 3.8 sq. ft. per bird.
and a 200 sq. ft. run = 11.7 sq. ft. per bird.

I am going to add to the run and possibly to the coop soon. But, they all do fine as it as.

These measurements that you read and hear are estimates. And, as you see you will read and get told different estimates. Of course, more space can not ever hurt.

Just be sure to have plenty of ventilation and keep your coop clean. Plenty of roost space is probably as important as anything.

Ours is on the smaller side 4x4 coop area (not including the nesting boxes) on top of 4x8 “run” area (tractor). We only have 4 pullets but we did have 4 pullets and a cockerel in it for a while. They do get quite a bit of free range time when the weather is nice. I want something bigger for them but my husband did a great job designing/building without us really knowing what we were getting into. I am already planning on trying to do a more permanent structure confined to a corner of our garden with like 6x8 or so coop and 15x10 run space.

It lists dimensions:
4x6 coop
10x6 run area (which probably includes the space under the coop.)

If you want each bird to have 4 square feet in the coop, and 10 square feet in the run, then it's the right size for 6 chickens.

More space is always nicer, and sometimes the feeder/waterer take up enough space to be a problem, but I would consider that a reasonable coop & run 5-6 chickens.

Most commercially-available coops recommend twice as many birds as what is recommended on this site. I eventually decided they were recommending for bantams, which are OK with half as much space because they're so much smaller :D
ok, I wasn't sure if I should count the area under the coop.....the non-coop area would be 6x6 for the run and we are supposed to have 7 chickens in there. Sounds like 1 or 2 wont fit.

You can get by with that for now. I have 17 in about 65 sq. ft. coop = 3.8 sq. ft. per bird.
and a 200 sq. ft. run = 11.7 sq. ft. per bird.

I am going to add to the run and possibly to the coop soon. But, they all do fine as it as.

These measurements that you read and hear are estimates. And, as you see you will read and get told different estimates. Of course, more space can not ever hurt.

Just be sure to have plenty of ventilation and keep your coop clean. Plenty of roost space is probably as important as anything.
Let me add that mine is not a store bought. So, the coop has plenty of height also. It is about 10 feet from floor to ceiling....a walk-in coop. I think that makes a difference. I made good use of my space inside without taking up floor space. I have plenty of roost space with poop boards/trays under the roosts. Then I built the laying boxes and mounted/attached them under the poop trays and that still leaves floor space under those laying boxes. I have a dirt floor with a deep bedding system so they also scratch/dig all through the coop as well as the run. They all seem happy and are excellent layers. Not any fighting other than the normal peck now and then.
The store bought ones are overstated as far as what they really need to house and leave a lot to be desired most of the time. Also, I do not believe many of them will last very long without "a lot" of maintenance.
But again, you should be fine for now.

Let me add that mine is not a store bought. So, the coop has plenty of height also. It is about 10 feet from floor to ceiling....a walk-in coop. I think that makes a difference. I made good use of my space inside without taking up floor space. I have plenty of roost space with poop boards/trays under the roosts. Then I built the laying boxes and mounted/attached them under the poop trays and that still leaves floor space under those laying boxes. I have a dirt floor with a deep bedding system so they also scratch/dig all through the coop as well as the run. They all seem happy and are excellent layers. Not any fighting other than the normal peck now and then.
The store bought ones are overstated as far as what they really need to house and leave a lot to be desired most of the time. Also, I do not believe many of them will last very long without "a lot" of maintenance.
But again, you should be fine for now.
I can't afford to buy this one as only a temporary housing situation (it's quite pricey). I'll have to figure out something else or re-home some chicks. Blah

I can't afford to buy this one as only a temporary housing situation (it's quite pricey). I'll have to figure out something else or re-home some chicks. Blah
I understand. I was thinking if it seems you need more later than maybe you add to it. If you have the resources to do it that is.
If these are chicks you are getting then you will have some time.

I feel your pain. I did the same thing with my first coop. It was listed for 8-10 standard birds, and when it arrived, it was so small, I wouldn't have put 2-3 in there. Anyways, I ended up buying an 8x8 plastic shed from Home depot. It wasn't too expensive, and it was easy to put together. They have multiple sizes, so you don't have to get one that large. It just had to be fitted with roosting bars, nest boxes and some extra vents. I'm not sure how handy you are, but if you can build a run to go with it, your set.
The other option would be to check Craigslist. There's all sorts of coops, new and used, in my area. If you can find one the right size, that might be ideal, if you're not comfortable building.

Back
Top Bottom