Confused about Grit

SobbaChickens

Songster
6 Years
Apr 24, 2013
Kansas
My chicks are roughly 3wks old and have just finished their bag of Manna Pro Medicated Chick Starter. Yesterday I added in some of their new food Nutrena Nature Wise Chick Starter Grower 18% crumbles. The sales person who helped me pick out the new food told me that I would not need to feed them grit at all. I asked about giving treats and them eating grass and he still said that grit was not needed. He said that he raises chickens (for quite awhile) and gives his the same food. I have no issues with the feed but I don't understand what makes this food so wonderful that grit isn't needed.

This past Sunday I dug up a small piece of soil and let the chicks have it, although weirdly enough they didn't seem to care for it. I have gave them some hard boiled egg and tonight (between the 6 of them) had about a tsp of shredded cheese (they went crazy for it). I know I should not be giving them treats if they aren't getting grit so I'm hoping what the sales person told me is true.

I'm sure you see a lot about this topic and I apologize, but even though I've read a few things on this site about it and talked to people I'm still very confused on whether I need to give my chicks grit or not. I do know what grit does and why it's important though.

Thank you for any help you can provide,
Katie

I am brand new to chicks so I am quite sure someone more experienced will chime in, but everything I have heard and read says to feed grit if you give them something other then eggs or yogurt.

i'm not familiar with the food you mention. It may have grit in it - otherwise you do need to provide grit if you're feeding anything more than chick food. I scooped some gritty soil & put in their brooder to introduce local flora to them while giving them the grit they needed. I know you can also provide them w/parakeet grit which is a good size for them.

I am brand new to chicks so I am quite sure someone more experienced will chime in, but everything I have heard and read says to feed grit if you give them something other then eggs or yogurt.
Thanks for your reply. I haven't even seen that. After my research I was thinking grit was needed if the chicks were going to eat anything besides their feed.
barnie.gif

i'm not familiar with the food you mention. It may have grit in it - otherwise you do need to provide grit if you're feeding anything more than chick food. I scooped some gritty soil & put in their brooder to introduce local flora to them while giving them the grit they needed. I know you can also provide them w/parakeet grit which is a good size for them.
I thought that parakeet grit was a no-no because it has calcium? Do you know what I'd look for in the ingredient list to see if it contains grit? I mean is it technically called something besides "grit".

Thank you for replying!

So I just looked up the food you have. In the feeding directions it says feed appropriate size grit as needed. So your food does not have grit in it.

Last edited:
I don't feed grit, but I let them out on the grass and dirt anytime it's warm enough.
It's been too cold here and that's why I dug up a little bit of soil/rocks/grass for them to peck at.

I just googled my feed brand, Google lol such a wonderful invention, and found the company website. It does say to still provide grit so I guess I was "lied" too.
rant.gif
I understand there are many ways to doing things but I hate when people act like their way is the only way, leaving impressionable new chicken owners like me to deal with the consequences. My chicks don't get to free range right now so basically I could have caused them harm because I was left thinking the feed was going to be good enough.

Thank you all for replying

Get ready for a lot more people like that! lol. Cures for keeping away hawks, snakes, how to feed, and the list is endless. Best to nod and says thanks, and do your own research later:) They love having a little pan of dirt or sand to bathe and scratch in. When I started with chicks I bought a little bag of chick grit and was told to sprinkle a little over their food. Now I use dirt and sand if its cold outside. Yesterday was 90 degrees, today is 30 :(

Good luck with your babies! They grow fast!

People like that are why we bought "Story's guide to chickens" and treat it like the bible while we are still learning the basics.

Back
Top Bottom