Confused About Litter Use in Coop

pwog

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 8, 2011
Hi,

My coop is here and my seven 5 weeks old chicks are loving it!

The coop has a floor insert, (see photo - outlined in white) that covers a section that is hardware cloth. Currently, I have the insert in and the floor covered with pine shavings.

My question is: If I were to remove the insert, so that droppings fall through while roosting do I still use pine shavings or just go with the bare wood floor?

95294_coop_full.jpg

95294_coop_side.jpg

Thanks!
P

I would think the bare wood floor would be messy and hard to clean. You would probably have to scrape up all the droppings. I would go for the shavings, that way they can be stirred up and replaced when needed.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Interesting question. I like the idea of the bedding to keep things dried out. Otherwise the poop could build up a bit and stink unless you clean it a lot. Painting the floor or using a slick covering like linoleum makes it easier to clean.

Could you possible put a lip around the opening, maybe 4" to 6" high, to try to keep the bedding away from the opening. The higher the better. They'll still scratch and eventually cover the hardware cloth but it may make it better for you.

Chicken poop will not fall through hardware cloth. But I find that mine scratch it and break it up when it dries so it really does not build up. I have hardware cloth on the bottom of my grow-out pen. Whether yours will get in there and scratch it through I cannot say. Just something to watch for.

If you plan to have heavier breeds, I would not go with the hardware cloth floor. I read somewhere that it's not good for their feet.

I use pine shavings in the coop. My roosts are plain wood which are 10 and 12 inches wide. I'm having a hard time keeping them clean. I am planning on replacing with new wood. Either I will cover the roosts or paint them. The poop is soaking right through. My roosts are so wide because my chickens like to pile up and sleep together. I would think having a wood floor would be really hard to keep clean.

Last edited:
Quote:
We decided to do the deep litter method and have been very happy so far. I found some heavy linoleum at our local remnant store (Ollies). It is a single piece that I centered (mostly) and let run up the sides about 8" in most places. Lots of air staples.

We were concerned about cleaning the floor, rotting the floor, and being too slippery for chickens or people. So far, all is well.

And it makes a great family project as our 10yr old DD helps unroll, stretch, and staple the flooring!

- JC

Back
Top Bottom