confused about treats and laying,

a small bale of hay(cut baling twine off) put into the chicken run will helpkeep(non-free ranging) hens in shape , they love to scratch and work in deep litter . One can throw grain into the hay and watch the chickens go at it .

Quote:
I found out myself last week that BOSS is Black Oli Sunflower Seed.
smile.png
I feed mealworms mixed with boss and oatmeal in the AM and watermelon at night but mine are only 12 weeks old. If they are late laying I will cut out the fruit and see if that helps. Good info.

Quote:
Fatty liver syndrome, excessive fat in the liver:

"Fatty liver syndrome is best prevented by not allowing an excessive positive energy balance in older birds. Body weight can be monitored and when potential problems are seen, remedial action taken to limit energy intake through the use of lower energy diets and/or change in feed management." Merck Veterinary Manual

In other words, the hen shouldn't get too many high-calorie "treats" or this health problem may be the result. Something like scratch or just cracked corn would be lots of energy/little protein.

Steve

FWIW, I am averaging about 4 eggs per day from my 6 girls, and give them all sorts of veggie scraps and fruits. Their base diet is Flock Raiser, free-choice oyster shell and I give them scratch that has lentils, flax and sunflower seeds in it, which all have some more nutrition than the cracked corn and so on that the plain commercial scratch contains.

Wow. I am still pretty new to all this, but I'm surprised by some of this. I give my girls all the leftover bits of foods. I keep a bowl near the kitchen sink and in it go strawberry tops, potato peels, ends of carrots, cucumbers, etc. and day-old bread that my little one loves to break into pieces and toss to them. I have five hens and get five eggs pretty much every day. I don't feed them scratch or oyster shells, or BOSS because I didn't know about it until later and the feed store is a while away. I'll get it next time. But I figure pretty much anything that I don't use (such as some stale cereal I had...they LOVE rice crispies!) goes out to them. They sort-of free range. They have an enclosed area under the porch, but I'm building a run for them. I usually grab a bunch of weeds from the backyard and toss them in, too, and they're happy as can be.

I thought that potato peels were not good for chickens unless they are cooked????
idunno.gif

lol....I gave mine Rice Krispies for the 1st time this week & they loved them!!
ep.gif

My flock is only 9 weeks old & I figure treats are just that, a treat. Not something to be eating all day long. Treats only last about 5 mins w/ my girls. Then that have their chick feed to sustain them thru out the day. I try to give them healthy treats, plain yogurt, melon, cukes, tomatoes, zuchini & squashes, green beans, peaches(no pits), apples, pears, earthworms, mealworms & the occasional piece or 2 of french toast!!!
droolin.gif
(I think they eat better than I do!!! ) I hope to have eggs from them in about 7 more weeks!!! Can't wait!!!
woot.gif

My girls get a large assortment of "treats" in addition to their feed. I give them their layer pellets or crumbles first thing in the morning. When i do noon chores, I give them their treats.......grass, fruit, veggies, hard boiled eggs, comfrey leaves, bread, cat kibble soaked in goat milk, etc. I don't have any problems with them laying, the quality of the eggs or the shells.

Back
Top Bottom