Confused about what to feed

Gwhite3678

Songster
Apr 1, 2022
New Hampshire
Hi there! New to chickens and feeling confused with all the different information regarding what to feed my flock. I have 9 pullets and 1 cockerel (I think) that are about 6 /7weeks old. They were eating a crumble that instructed to be fed to 6 weeks so now I started mixing in a pellet feed that says to feed until laying age however I know the rooster cannot eat the same feed as hens if I use a layer I also want to use an organic soy free feed.
I am thinking I am going to use Scratch N Peck Grower feed and offer oyster shells and grit for the long term. Does this make sense for both my girls once they are laying age as well as my rooster? I attached the specs of the feed.
Thanks!

Attachments

• C8D4A993-784E-4955-BE59-B0FA84DFA6FB.png
    C8D4A993-784E-4955-BE59-B0FA84DFA6FB.png
    263.3 KB · Views: 46
  • D48D66A0-9052-423E-A292-3B63459B5347.png
    D48D66A0-9052-423E-A292-3B63459B5347.png
    314.3 KB · Views: 8
I agree with DobieLover that it will work. My concern is that the protein is a little low for me and the price tag:eek:. Do you have a tractor supply or similar nearby?
I do have a tractor supply maybe 45 min away or so I also have a farm supply store very close where I’ve been getting my feed from, the most recent bag I bought which is not the organic non gmo was about $20 for 20# so not too far off I didn’t think from the Scratch N Peck, from what I’ve read that’s supposed to be one of the best brands but there may be others I just haven’t heard of of course

I do have a tractor supply maybe 45 min away or so I also have a farm supply store very close where I’ve been getting my feed from, the most recent bag I bought which is not the organic non gmo was about $20 for 20# so not too far off I didn’t think from the Scratch N Peck, from what I’ve read that’s supposed to be one of the best brands but there may be others I just haven’t heard of of course
I am currently pushing 48 cents/pound. I might get a better price at another feed store but they come with a drive and no other reason to go to those areas. Consider all your options and what may be nearby to help off set travel cost. Then make your best judgement call is all I can really say.

Ok, I'm the curmudgeon-y old grandpa figure who is occasionally useful, sometimes entertaining, and best in (very) small doses. I'm going to pretend to be a good human being and try to behave.

I pay less than $0.30/lb for my feed, which is nutritionally superior to the feed above. It is not Organic or non-GMO. It is not soy-free.

I understand some put real value on organic feed. I'm not here to argue.

Why, may I ask, do you seek a soy-free feed?

Ok, I'm the curmudgeon-y old grandpa figure who is occasionally useful, sometimes entertaining, and best in (very) small doses. I'm going to pretend to be a good human being and try to behave.

I pay less than $0.30/lb for my feed, which is nutritionally superior to the feed above. It is not Organic or non-GMO. It is not soy-free.

I understand some put real value on organic feed. I'm not here to argue.

Why, may I ask, do you seek a soy-free feed?
I don’t handle soy products very well and avoid consuming it. One of the reasons for wanting to have my own chickens was to be able to control what they ate so in turn I was controlling the eggs we are going to consume. I know organic / gmo isn’t important to everyone but I am trying to be diligent about what I’m putting in my body whether through food, body products, ect.

Is there a brand that you recommend? I do need to weigh the cost of feed and what will end up being sustainable long term so I’m kind of struggling to settle on something. The overall health of the chickens is obviously what’s most important in the long run.

I don’t handle soy products very well and avoid consuming it. One of the reasons for wanting to have my own chickens was to be able to control what they ate so in turn I was controlling the eggs we are going to consume. I know organic / gmo isn’t important to everyone but I am trying to be diligent about what I’m putting in my body whether through food, body products, ect.

Is there a brand that you recommend? I do need to weigh the cost of feed and what will end up being sustainable long term so I’m kind of struggling to settle on something. The overall health of the chickens is obviously what’s most important in the long run.
I won't tell you what choice to make. Its your money, and its your body.
What I will say is that most of the componenents in soy don't make their way into the meat or the eggs, while the science on phytoestrogens is much less than conclusive (have you seen the CA Teacher's Study?) on soy proteins and health effects than popular "wisdom" suggests.

I will also say that the most important amino acid in a chicken's diet is Methionine - and its remarkably hard to find it in any plant source. Soy meal is one of the best, reasonably priced, available with an "organic" label plant source for that amino acid.

The similar sources (alfalfa meal, peanut meal, etc) are all also legumes, and ALSO contain high levels of phytoestrogens - the typical complaint with soy. The common alternative sources - pulses (beans) - also contain moderate levels of phytoestrogens, but tend to be higher in otheranti-nutritional factors, higher in fiber, lower in protein, and maybe high tannin sources besides. The other common alternative are seeds - high fat, often high tannins, certainly higher price.

How do you feel about fish meal? Blood meal? Shrimp or crab meal?

Does Organic REALY matter to you? Is Non-GMO "good enough"? Are you just trying to discourage the use of glyphosate?

No easy answers. Sorry.

I won't tell you what choice to make. Its your money, and its your body.
What I will say is that most of the componenents in soy don't make their way into the meat or the eggs, while the science on phytoestrogens is much less than conclusive (have you seen the CA Teacher's Study?) on soy proteins and health effects than popular "wisdom" suggests.

I will also say that the most important amino acid in a chicken's diet is Methionine - and its remarkably hard to find it in any plant source. Soy meal is one of the best, reasonably priced, available with an "organic" label plant source for that amino acid.

The similar sources (alfalfa meal, peanut meal, etc) are all also legumes, and ALSO contain high levels of phytoestrogens - the typical complaint with soy. The common alternative sources - pulses (beans) - also contain moderate levels of phytoestrogens, but tend to be higher in otheranti-nutritional factors, higher in fiber, lower in protein, and maybe high tannin sources besides. The other common alternative are seeds - high fat, often high tannins, certainly higher price.

How do you feel about fish meal? Blood meal? Shrimp or crab meal?

Does Organic REALY matter to you? Is Non-GMO "good enough"? Are you just trying to discourage the use of glyphosate?

No easy answers. Sorry.
Thank you for all this information!

Back
Top Bottom