Confused cockerel or hen?

Bone Bunny

Chirping
Mar 16, 2022
Im back... again...

The Vill-hens turned 7 weeks old on May 2nd.

So starting at the beginning of this week, Ursula and Harley Quinn had some developments in the comb and waddles to let me know that they are def cockerels vs the hens. But then, Bellatrix said "Hold my tailfeathers" and decided they were going to throw me off. I have three dark brahmas. Moira is def a hen, and Ursula we are 99% sure is a cockerel. Bellatrix is smack dab in the middle when it comes to looks and temperament! Kinda makes me think of a mixxed also, and MAYBE not a full dark brahma.

But here is what I am seeing that is confusing.

Bellatrix just finished feathering last week. All the other pullets have been fully feathered for at least 2 weeks now, but the cockerels still have a lot of fuzz goin on down their backs and mixxed in with the tail feathers.

Bellatrix's tail feathers are usually held in a more horizontal angle like the other hens, but when excited it erects more vertically like the cockerels.

Now the coloring is all over the place. Lighter head like the pullet as well as the more stenciled wing feathers, but the rest of the feathers on the upper wings and back are like neither Moira or Ursulas. Bellatrix has a reddish color tinting the feathers randomly. Some feathers are outlined, others are not.

Sometimes, Bellatrix will run over like the cockerels, and other times she makes a mad dash with the hens.

As you can see, comb is still smaller but pinker, and waddles can barely be seen (like the hens)

Last but not least, you can see in the pics, that she is bigger than the pullets (not by much), but smaller the cockerels.

I have no clue what to look for now.

TIA!
The Vill-hens: Ursula (Ursuhim), Harley Quinn (Harley), Bellatrix, Moira, Cruella, Pandora, and Annie Wilkes.

P.S. The dark brahmas feet are so freakin fuzzy I cant LOVE them enough!!:love:wee:love

Bellatrix (Unknown) yelling at Ursula (Roo) for stealing the blade of grass she wanted.
PXL_20220504_201236694.PORTRAIT.jpg

Bellatrix having no clue what is going on (Ever! This wee feathered one was brown with a few screws loose).
PXL_20220504_201703221.PORTRAIT.jpg

This is a pick of the other two dark brahmas to show the difference in coloring. (Ursula(roo) and Moira(Pullet))
PXL_20220504_201310684.PORTRAIT.jpg

Coloring is all over the place!
PXL_20220504_201722635.PORTRAIT.jpg

Both of the dark Brahmas with black breasts are cockerels.
@Rhodebar Lover

Looks like a pullet to me.

Thank you for the replies!

I should have taken a better picture from the front. Its only those top feathers that are dark, the rest is black and white or black/white/ with a hint of red. Would this still suggest cockerel?

If it had been all dark like Ursula, I wouldn't have second guessed. Bellatrix does not like to be picked up for pictures, she/he screams at me till the ordeal is over. Definitely the strangest one out of all of them.

TIA!

Left to right: Bellatrix, Moira, & Ursula (taken last week)
279707769_328213352676645_810766279606226854_n.jpg

Thank you for the replies!

I should have taken a better picture from the front. Its only those top feathers that are dark, the rest is black and white or black/white/ with a hint of red. Would this still suggest cockerel?

If it had been all dark like Ursula, I wouldn't have second guessed. Bellatrix does not like to be picked up for pictures, she/he screams at me till the ordeal is over. Definitely the strangest one out of all of them.

TIA!

Left to right: Bellatrix, Moira, & Ursula (taken last week)
View attachment 3092523
Still a cockerel. He's not the best quality with those red bits.

Back
Top Bottom