Confused on day count.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by yotetrapper, May 10, 2008.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I put my eggs in on April 28th at 8 am. So is the 28th, day 1 or day 0? I saw someone mention day 0 today and that messed me all up. I thought I was on day 13 today, am I only on day 12? Trying to figure out if the turner comes out on Thursday night, or Friday?

Also, can someone please explain just what pipping is. That has me confused too.

2. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    When I put eggs in the bator early (8:am), then I count that as day 1. If I put them in later in the day, then I count that first day 0.

Pipping is when the chick pecks a hole in the shell and zipping is when they start making the circle around the shell to get out.

Hope this helps,
    Dorothy

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I have read many places that if you set your eggs before noon it's counted as day one...afternoon...it's counted as day 0. I set mine AT noon....of course I had to be difficult! lol I am counting that day as day 0 just to be safe. Good luck on your hatch!

4. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Yup that helped, Thanks!

My turner comes out the night of the 15th. I'm getting closer now!! I feel like a little kid at Christmas!

5. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    I count mine this way. Eggs in the incubator @ dinner time Today = 0 hrs. Tomorrow @ Dinner time = day #1 [​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  6. annrich

annrich Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Western NY
    Quote:thats what I did.

7. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I put my eggs in at 2pm on Monday, with this hatch. After 24 hrs (tues after 2pm) I count it as one whole day in the incubator. So they should hatch anytime after 2ish on the 27th, unless I get some early guys that can't wait.

Good luck with your hatch!

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2008
  8. MMaddTom

MMaddTom New Egg

Apr 6, 2008
    counting days is confusing enough but what about an early hatch? i had 4 ducklings hatch 4 days early. yes 4 days. i eas moving them out of the turner into the hatcher when i saw they had pips. I checked my dates all correct. the best part was it only took them like 3-4 hrs and they were out. is that unusual or what?

9. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:The 28th is day 0. the 29th is day 1. So if you are hatching chicken eggs they should hatch on Monday May 19th, the 21st day of incubation.

10. BaronRenfrew

BaronRenfrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Guess what! It doesn't matter. Studies have shown that if you stop turning eggs after 7 days hatch rate was 75%. If you stop turning after 14 days hatch rate was the same as if you turn to the last possible day. I can't find my copy of "guide to better hatching" so I don't recall if its from there.

The purpose of turning eggs is to stop the undeveloped yolk from sticking to the shell on one side. The yolk moves towards the heat source. Once two weeks has gone by the chick is developed enough that it's not a big deal if you stop turning at this point.

There was even talk that some hatcheries would start shipping partially developed eggs. They found that chicken eggs at day 14 could be left unheated for two days before they have to continue in the incubation process with decent hatch rates (they did take longer than 21 days to hatch due to the delay).

I have one auto turner for two bators so I put eggs in the non-turning bater (essentially a hatcher) anytime after day 14 if I needed space in the turner. I've done this for 15 years with decent success.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by