1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Confused on feeding

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dfchaser, Jan 25, 2009.

1. dfchaser

dfchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    NC
    This is our first time raising chickens and I am confused on feeding. We free range our birds on 3.5 acres. We supplement with pellets and corn. n the spring, summer and fall we would throw out a few handfuls of grain for them and really get them scratching for bugs. Now that is is winter, we have noticed our birds getting rather small (obviously there is not as many bugs for them to eat). How much feed should I supplement with. I have generally read 1/4lb per bird. (Some findings have been over that, and others under).

They also get plenty of water, and can choose water with or without apple cider vinegar (the goats love it too!)

Any insight would be helpful, since I have all these numbers spinning around in my head!

2. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    I just have a free feeder bin that we keep full at all times. The girls can eat as much as they want. I have found that they are going through pellets at about double the rate they were when they were free ranging over the summer.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    When forage is lacking your birds need a feeder full at all times of good feed. Scratch is a treat. They need a layer feed or at least a flocker raiser type feed to keep from loosing so much weight. If they get too skinny you'll have health issues, hens that can't lay eggs properly and the onset of disease from their immune systems being compromised.

4. jforsness

jforsness Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I understand that chickens can self regulate their feed intake, so I keep mine full. Now I don't keep it full of cheese [​IMG]

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:No, but they'd LOVE you if you did.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by