Confused on how to get started with my current setup

I would start with a brooder and a heat source only if they seem to be huddling. You can then put them outside in about a week. You can put them directly into the coop but I would may be set them up in the main coop area for a couple of days with a light. The ramp looks like it may be a bit high for them to walk up and down. Make sure they have medicated starter if they where not vaccinated for about two weeks and add sav-a-chick to there water for the first week to help with travel stress.

It's so HOT here in Texas you wont need to worry about "extra heat".

Everyone has different opinions and different ways of "doing" things
Do what you think feels right to you.

If you are placing them on the ground at 2-3 weeks old there isn't a need to treat for cocci, they will quicker have it all figured out when they are exposed to dirt.

The bonus of your coops format is that you can move it around often.

The downside, it will be too small, I would suggest keeping it as a brooder, chick, quarantine, medical needs coop but invest in something bigger for them once they are larger.

This heat means you will have to be more worried about them overheating than getting chilled and heat will kill a chick faster than the cold ever can.

Thanks, that's a good point. It'll actually be between a fence and the side of my house so is pretty well protected, but there might be a period of 1-2 hours where the sun is more direct.

You do think it will be too small? I can never tell. They will have the entire side of the house to roam daily and access to the full backyard most days, but I can never quite tell for actual roosting how much room they need. Newb.

Back
Top Bottom